Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2002, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Protools Midi controll & or MPC

If you are using the MOTU timepiece, there is an app called Clockworks that will allow you to route your MIDI devices specified to your OMS settings. You can also access this on the front display if the timepiece. Route by cables and route by channels, comes in handy since you have only 2 MIDI in and 2 MIDi out on the MPC. Thus you do not need PT or any other OMS app open to work. The Timepiece acts as a stand alone MIDI patchbay. Works great.

Hope this helps,
Dan Cheung
OS 10.5.x Leopard
Protools LE 7.4
Mbox II
Old 12-01-2002, 12:10 AM

Default Protools Midi controll & or MPC

I have a situation here and i'll be very grateful for advice,I have the Protools TDM System which i use with a Motu Midi timepiece AV which i use to control my MPC 2000XL and a rack full of Modules.

My only problem is sometimes and most times i'm relay more experienced using my MPC as the controller since i'm very new to the protools environment.Anyway i was wondering if theres anyway to still use my MPC to sequence to the Modules bypassing the Protools using still the MOTU without disconnecting anything from the setup as it is.

Therefore not pulling apart the whole setup because i still want to keep it all hooked up to the Motu but i'm figuring there must be a way of bypassing the computer and just sequence in the MPC.I was told that the MIDI express allows for that sort of thing but i hav'nt met anyone that has realy done it.

i heard theres a switch that just allows you to switch and it bypasses the computer and lets you sequence directly to the MPC then when you want you just swtich back to the Midi express and use your Protools sequencer wihout having to pull every thing apart.Anywone out there familiar with this?????????
Old 12-02-2002, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Protools Midi controll & or MPC

Can't you store multiple setups in the motu (like 128 or even 256)?
You can even use your MAC to do the routing, then store the setups in the MOTU, or you could just do it all from the front panel if you like scrolling through the menu's.
Once you have that done, I believe you can then send patch changes from your MPC to the MOTU and let it do the work for you since (as was pointed out above) the MPC only has 2 midi ins.
I used to use an MPC for sequencing and I must say it took me a good while to learn the PT sequencer. FWIW, the PT sequencer is much easier to use now that I am familiar with it. ALSO, the PT sequencer (to me anyway) was much easier to learn than any of the other computer based solutions (and I think I have tried them all, mac based anyways - even as far back as vision) The word here (for those transferring from hardware sequencers) is SIMPLE, forget what all the midi geniuses say about PT's limited midi functionality, it works, i'm happy with it.
Don't give up your MPC until you are ready though. I really regret selling mine (and to think - I sold mine and bought cubase and a korg 1212I/O (well I did have quite a bit of cash left over, but you get the point [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]