Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Real World TDM

Have A Question About TDM&RTAS.If use same Plugin.TDM Sound is it Better then RTAS?
Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Real World TDM

well, in principle there should be no difference. The algorithms are supposed to be the same. However, many have noted differences - i have heard the difference between audiosuite RTAS and the TDM tape sim from digi. You can try the experiment - they dont quite cancel out. TDM, on tape sim, seems to sound the best to my ears. I dont know whether this is to do with different bit depths (and hence different roundings of numbers) or whether there has been an accidental or deliberate coding difference. Ive not heard it on other plugs, but many report they have. It may , of course, be often be whimsy and no difference is there at all.

In answer - there is not suppposed to be a difference.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Let me just say this
I just got this months electronic musician mag and there is an interesting short article called Max Headroom, Gain staging in the digital domain,
There the author metion that PT TDM uses 48bit double precision, fixed point math, and goes and explains a bit about them, later he mentions:"Protools LE complicates the situation further because is a Native System and uses 32bit Floating-Point engine...most RTAS plugins use 32bit floatingpoint math. That makes the use of RTAS plugins in a TDM system a little messy because the signals need to be converted between the two representations"
I always felt the TDM sounds a bit "different" than RTAS, althoug thats very subgective, but this article explains abit the difference about the two systems.
Best
Boris

www.borismilan.com
Old 05-21-2007, 03:06 AM

Default No No No

it sounds the same

I tried pahse reversing RTAS to TDM and full cancellation is always the case! except for dynamics and reverbs..but they too,
do sound the same.

why would it be different?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Have A Question About TDM&RTAS.If use same Plugin.TDM Sound is it Better then RTAS?
Visit this thread

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 05-22-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: No No No

Quote:
it sounds the same

I tried pahse reversing RTAS to TDM and full cancellation is always the case! except for dynamics and reverbs..but they too,
do sound the same.

why would it be different?
some do some dont. Real Tape is one that doesnt.