Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-27-2009, 05:10 PM

Default Novation Nocturn as mixer and plug in controllor solution

First of thanks to analysis sr and frantik on nanokontrol post

I bought the novation nocturn today and have to admit that i am totalling delighted with it. i have now set it up so that it controls mixer functions as per the nankontrol post and have started setting up mappings for each of the plugins and my own plugin instruments. THis controllor does everythign i could want it to do.

As it can betime consuming to do this i am more than happy to share these with anyone that wants them. I prefer my own mappings as opposed to the ones that automap automatically configures. Basically i want to have access to all the plugs ins parameters so have set the buttons and knobs so that they flow from left to right.(in a sensible and flowing format in my opinion) If there is not enough space then a new page is created with the remaining controls. I think i have done a good job of the ones i have done so if anyone is interested in having them then please let me know and i will post them to you or share them somewhere.

Cheers

only thing that i have not included is the loop button as that seems to mess up my banks of 8 controllers for some reason. As the novation actually has specific buttons to swithc between mixer. instruments and plugins windows then the mode button is not really needed.

to give a basic overview of the mixer controls

knobs 1 to 8 control the volume sliders and the xfader controls master fader

Buttons 1 - solo selected track
buttons 2 - mute selected track
button three and four. = prev and next track select
buttons five and six - prev and next bank of 8 controllers
button 7 - nothing _ though this could be used for mode button(though i dont see point)
button 8 = flip button ( use this to change what the buttons 1 through 8 do on the next page)

next page

I personally dont use the pan buttons as i would set these manaully anyway. It also des not work properly as per the nanokontol post. IE it jumps from left to right

So next page still has sliders as faders as above but the buttons 1-8 can either arm record. mute or solo the tracks 1 through 8. I have it as arm record as this works best for me but in all honesty i prefer just staying on page one and flipping through the faders. Obviously this is just a workflow preference.

Let me know if you want to try them. And if you dont have a novation nocturn then i stronly suggest parting the cash for one. I am well pleased with my purchase .
Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Novation Nocturn as mixer and plug in controllor solution

What post are you talking about? I'd like to see how to get this running. Where are the instructions? Is it working on PT 8? Does it work with waves plugins?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 PM

this one

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=231673&page=4

see linjks from analysis sr and frantik.

If you have a nocturn though id discovered that they control pt8 mixer very well using HUI. So even saves having to reprogram the thing. It controls every single plugin... Even pro tools own ones. IE eq7 . all the air ones etc etc./

If i was to mak a choice between a notavtion notcturn and a nanokontrol then the nocturn would win hands down now that i know what its capable of. You can have pages and pages of midi controls for each plugin.Its been the best thing i have bought this year. and it only cost £80

chuffin magic so it is.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Can you make it so it always controls the EQ for the selected track? Like if you always keep the EQ in plugin slot 1. I think the digidesign consoles work like this? Also are you using PT8?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 PM

with the nocturn as soon as you change track the onscreen gui will give you the option to pick what plugin you then want to congrol simply by pressing the associated button or knob. I do not know of anyway to lock it to a specific plugin though so that it does not change.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:59 PM

Hey Johnbhoy,

Thanks so much for turning me on to this little jem. I just purchased one brand new from EBay for $109. I can't believe it.

I would love to try out your maps if you don't mind. I'm all about getting the most out of this baby. I'd be interested in any tips you can provide. I will admit, I'm a noob when it comes to maping stuff. I have never ever done it before. Expect for small stuff like getting the 9 sliders on my UDB keyboard to work the drawbards of B4II. Thats about it.

Thanks man!!

Nick
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 07-10-2009, 03:38 PM

No worries mate. PM me your email and i will send them in a rar file for you.

Cheerss
Old 07-10-2009, 04:46 PM

dood thats great! but i don't think you can PM on this site. you can send it to

grabagemail2 at gmail dot com

thanks so much. i will let you know what i think when the unit gets here.
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM

Are you by chance running this on a PC. I just read on the Novation web page that RTAS support is not ready for PC yet. Mac only.

Bummer! If this is true then its gonna be collecting dust for a while.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Theres a software update for PC