Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Default Comparison of HD, LE and M-Powered?

Hello:

I'm an M-Audio ProFire 2626 owner with a small home studio looking at trading up to PT M-Powered from Acid Pro 7.

But I've had trouble finding a comparison chart of HD, LE, and M-Powered on the Digi website. Does such a chart exist? Specifically what I'm looking to compare are features and included instruments and effects plugs.

It would also be great to know what items that aren't included in M-Powered I am able to add back by buying separately. For example, I did notice that LE users can upgrade to a DV package that M-Powered customers can't.

Finally, I heard that there may be an issue with plugin delay compensation in M-Powered and maybe also LE. Is this really an issue? My style of music uses a lot of "vintage style" compression, etc. which I believe probably required PDC. I have also been known to use mastering dynamics plugs on all of my busses to tighten up the submixes. I'd love users' opinions and experiences here.

Finally, I just orderd Omnisphere. I assume that this synth works great with Pro Tools M-Powered?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Comparison of HD, LE and M-Powered?

* Welcome to the DUC *

(somebody else gonna get 'em-I'm not gonna say anything)

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 PM

thanks for the welcome :)

awww... you're not going to humor the newbie? really, i searched the forum for "comparison HD LE M-Powered" and I looked all over the digi website. i even watched like an hour of promotional/instructional video on the digidesign youtube site! it's not like i'm not tryin ;-)
Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Since u put it so Nicsely

Ok but here's the thing, they do specify pretty much everything on Digi's site when U look @ the Overview or details...1 of 'em; So what exactly are u tryin to find out?

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 03-07-2009, 08:41 PM

Well, mostly I'm looking for the equivalent of this (for m current DAW): http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/acidpro/compare for the 3 versions of Pro Tools.

I looked at the overviews, but they seem to mostly highlight what's new in each of them but not the differences.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Oh; PT is too grown for that kinda stuff

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 03-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Bro...the program is the same for all Pro Tools....the difference is the hardware! I'm far from an expert but i beleive m-powered and LE run entirely within the host computer...i think with HD the DSP (plug in processing etc) is all in the digi hardware as opposed to your computer....i think the GUI is only in the computer for HD therefore the performance of HD can be gauranteed.....i'm mostly a sonar guy who owns m-powered 7/8 so my info could be right, wrong or half way LOL....
Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 PM

I don't know why this is so hard to answer. Here:

Track counts:

http://www.protoolsblog.com/faq/pro-...8-feature.html

PTLE and PTMP are both limited to 18 simultaneous i/o. (dis)M-powered cannot have the CPTK or DV toolkits, but can have the MPTK with the 64 tracks.

Here's some of the software feature differences for v.7 I think are still present in v.8

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...tmp7_features2

M-powered also bizzarely and regrettably does not offer pow-R dither, but that's relatively minor for most people.

The 2626 is the best interface for Pro Tools period so you're already well ahead of the game. HD offers a limited and klunky PDC implementation but Mellowmuse ATA is available for PTMP which, though very poorly designed and documented, will compensate for even more situations than HD will once you figure it out.

HD is in its death throes and there are so many 3rd party sales on ebay that it isn't making much money for digidesign either anymore. I feel awful for people getting sucked into it when it's almost never necessary and is about 1000% overpriced even on ebay.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Well we didn't have a "graph" for them Pepper so we're of no help, as well as assuming that we didn't/don't have no clue of PT in any way...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 PM

aNd 1s UhGen, a lOaN KayBee sitZ

You're like...so totally radical DUDE!