Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 09-01-2020, 12:47 PM

Default Advice on MTRX Studio setup please

I have a Trinnov MC that I used to use as my monitor controller as well as for speaker correction.
I'd like to integrate the Trinnov into my MTRX Studio setup so I can choose whether to loop through the Trinnov to the MTRX, or have the signal come directly from PT to the MTRX to allow me to do 192k work when I need it.
I'm thinking of connecting the Trinnov digitally through an Adat port on the MTRX Studio, via an RME ADI-4 to get 8 channel/ 7.1 AES in and out of the trinnov.
What would be the most elegant or practical way to do this with the MTRX Studio.

Is there a way to set a group of channels as an insert loop?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:01 PM
Avid

Default Re: Advice on MTRX Studio setup please

I think it would make more sense to patch Dante between the MTRX Studio and Trinnov. The IP Core chipset on MTRX Studio can do up to 64 channels at 192k.

You could create conduits in the Monitor Profile of DADman to handoff digitally between the two devices.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-01-2020, 01:33 PM

Hi Jeff,
I totally agree, but my Trinnov doesn't have Dante, nor is it upgradeable to Dante, only analog and AES and I wanted to avoid too many A/D trips.
So, I'm kind of stuck with it.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:40 PM
Avid

Understood. I think the maximum rate that RME will do is 96k via S/MUX however. If that works for you it would be worth a shot.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 09-01-2020, 04:13 PM

Ah, perhaps I didn't explain very well.
Most of my work is at 48k and that is what will be using the Trinnov.
Forgetting about the 192k, what would be the best way to loop through the Trinnov?
You mention conduits in the monitor profile, how would that work?
Old 09-01-2020, 05:16 PM
Avid

Presumably you would have a monitor profile defined with all of your source inputs: DigiLink, Dante, Analog -> which would feed into an output set using digital IO (ADAT) to feed into the Trinnov which you are using for your B-chain -> which would then feed into your speakers.

If you need to return the output of the tuned Trinnov feed you could create a second monitor with the ADAT connected Trinnov as a source and simply make sure that that monitor is defined as a Cue and the Control Room is set to master.

What kind of widths / formats will you be monitoring in?

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 09-02-2020, 03:10 AM

Thanks Jeff.
I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm currently finding the relationship of the monitoring section with the routing section quite confusing.
At the moment I'm routing 8 channels of digilink 1 input straight to the Trinnov in the MTRX patchbay and using the Trinnov for monitoring, just to get me working.

Ideally, I'd like to loop through the Trinnov and use the MTRX Studio for monitor control, which would give me greater flexibility of sources etc.

Initially it would be a 7.1 setup and then when I figure out how to do that, I'd like to expand it to 7.1.4.
I have a 12 channel license for the Trinnov but because of I/O limitations it would be 8 channels on AES and the height channels as analog in out.

So you're saying I can achieve all this with different monitor sets?
I'll have to experiment.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:28 AM
Avid

Yes, I do believe this can be accomplished with a single monitor profile. Message me directly and I’ll give you a hand with it.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 09-03-2020, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I'm thinking of connecting the Trinnov digitally through an Adat port on the MTRX Studio, via an RME ADI-4 to get 8 channel/ 7.1 AES in and out of the trinnov.
What would be the most elegant or practical way to do this with the MTRX Studio.
Mutec MC-4 has more I/O then RME and can do 192k. And same price I believe?
Old 09-03-2020, 03:01 AM

Thanks for the offer of help Jeff.
I'm waiting for a couple of new cables to arrive so I can set it all up and then I'll PM you, if that's ok.

Thanks Nedd I hadn't seen the Mutec. I managed to get a couple of ADI-4's on Ebay for a good price, so I'm sorted now.