Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

Hey guys. Im definitely one looking to join the quadsquad. However Im facing a couple of issues.
1. I have never built a PC before
2. Im in Mexico City and getting all the parts is a pain in the behind

So from these issues stem a couple of questions

Which setup has proven to work better, the ASus on the best desktop thread, or the Tyan Quad?

Using any of the two layouts would I be able to add 2 more HD´s?

As stated in the best Desktop thread, is it still recommended to upgrade to western digital raptor 10,000 RPM Drives?

And again could I have four of those?

Can any of you recommend a real good pro shop where they would have all the part available to assemble my quad in the states? If they ship internationally even better, otherwise Ill just fly up to pick it up. Hopefully theyll also have one of those quietpc cases.

Has anyone tried any of the quads with the Delta 1010?

Guys, thank you SO much for all the wealth of info youre providing for rookies like myself.

Have a great day!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Phobia, about the fans...

I accidentally ordered the 9500AT for the Socket 775 Intel from NewEgg. I realized my error when they came in and ordered the AM2 version so I had both sets of fans. The Socket 775 have the 4 pin power connector and are identical to the AM2 except for the mounting bracket. I used the 775 fans with the mounting brackets from the AM2 fans, put the 775 brackets in with the AM2 fans and returned them to NewEgg. Not very nice of me but they let me slide on it and issued my refund. Sounds like your fans are working fine with the 3 pin? I was concerned that the RPM controls would not work with the 3 pin connector so that's why I used the Intel fans....

Hope this helps
Drew

"Hi,
Finally all parts (backorder and stuff ) on my desk and some time to finalize this thing.

drewzee87t:
I read about your Zalman CPU coolers and connectors.
Could you please describe how you connected your CPU-fans on your S2927A2NRF?

They come with 3-pin connectors but the Tyan board has mostly 4-pin (non molex) headers.
Some other Tyan motherboards state that the 4-pin fan connectors are 3-pin compatible.
How did you resolve this? Do you use 3-pin fan on 4-pin motherboard connectors or are you using a
3-pin to 4-pin molex adapter connecting to PSU? Or did you re-solder or get hold of other fan-connectors?

The 4-pin connectors have a plastic guide that seem to be made to allow for 3-pins to fit very well.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated

Best Regards,
- Joakim

* update *
Tyan says:

=== UPDATE Igor Ebner: 03/08/2007 11:40
Hello,

the 4-pin headers are 3-pin compatible, but the speed throttling will not work. 3-pin fan will always run with full spedd.

However, any solution used successfully would be interesting to know.
These zalman fans has its own fan mate regulator.

* update 2 - XP-loading now - fans worked out just fine

--------------------
Digi 002
Digi 001
Mbox 1

See Bio for Computer Specifications - too long to put here

Edited by phobia (03/08/07 02:24 PM) "
Old 03-12-2007, 01:11 PM

RE: Zalmann CPU Cooling:

I originally spec'ed the ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED at Newegg, this was the same fan that Shan used in his socket 940 configuration. Here is the compatibility description from the spec page at Newegg:

Intel:
All Dual Core Pentium CPUs (Socket 775)
All Pentium 4 CPUs (Socket 775 / 478)
AMD:
All Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPUs (Socket 939)
All AMD Sempron/AMD64 CPUs (Socket 754 / 939 / 940)

Now, it may be a bad assumption, but because it looks to be compatible with socket 939 and socket 940, is it safe to assume it is compatible with socket F configurations?

Also, I can't tell from the literature if it has 3 or 4 pin connectors...

Jon E.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
is it safe to assume it is compatible with socket F configurations?
I used these with my pair of dual proc Socket F opterons and had no problem mounting them.

Quote:

I believe they were 3 pin connectors, but since I used an external fan controller I didn't try them with the on motherboard fan speed control.

Jeff_C
Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks Jeff!
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is it safe to assume it is compatible with socket F configurations?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used these with my pair of dual proc Socket F opterons and had no problem mounting them.

Quote:

I believe they were 3 pin connectors, but since I used an external fan controller I didn't try them with the on motherboard fan speed control.

Jeff_C
Old 03-12-2007, 02:17 PM

drewzee87t,
thanks for the update.

Well, yes, 3-pins worked ok using the fan regulators supplied with the Zalmans.
Wouldbe nice though to let the Mobo handle this.

Jeff,
The Zalman fans i use fits the socket F just fine, even though it is not stated in the specs.
For the Tyan board, remember to mount the extenders for the fans, before fitting the board to the chassis.

I will try another DVerb test when I get the PCIe graphics card. This first test done using an old PCI-card sharing the same IRQ as the fire wire connection may be even better then ...

Cheers,
- J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 PM

Nobody, any help for my post above maybe?

thanks again
Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM

I would think www.newegg.com and silentpc.com would be good sources to try.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Hi again,
what are you using to monitor temperatures on the CPUs in order to regulate fan-speed?

I'd like to perform a high-load test for a longer period in order to tune the fans to run as slow and noiseless as possible.

What temperatures are ok ?

I've looked at Tyans site, but their TMS utility doesn't support the S2927 and some other utilities I've found don't support this mobo or seem unreliable.

Any hints?

Cheers,
- J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 03-13-2007, 07:09 PM

For fan & temp monitoring I use a utility called Tyan System Monitor Console which was apparently meant for monitoring multiple servers on a network. It does work with a single system, though. It shows a photo of the motherboard with highlighted areas where you click to see fan speeds, power supply voltages, temperatures, etc.

I don't leave it running all the time now, but when I first built the machine I left it running constantly. It didn't seem to interfere with ProTools.

Check the tyan website and the motherboard driver CD - I don't remember which one I got the program from.

Jeff_C