Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Voice Over Recording Level Help

I record VOs where the talent needs to be atleast 6 inches off the mic to be able to read the script. I'm using a Sennheiser MD 421 II mic through a Summit Audio TPA 200 pre-amp into my TDM system. I keep getting a really low signal even if the preamp is cranked. I get a hotter level using a Sennheiser shotgun mic but thats not available to me today. I can't seem to find any input gain adjustment like on a LE system. Should I adjust anything on the 888. Pretty confused here. Any suggestions?

thanks,

Meko
Old 01-20-2004, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Voice Over Recording Level Help

You need to first of all use the correct type of mic. V/O's done properly should be done with a condenser or ribbon Mic. You can get more gain by using a compressor on the channel strip but as the old saying goes garbage in garbage out. Use a good preamp. Too many people suffer from the oh it's only a voice over syndrom. Bologna! Use a good Pre amp Millenia, Focusrite, Avalon, Summit audio, Manley, Neve or SSL Something with some ability. I use a Focusrite ISA 220 and never have that problem I use a U87 or a AT 4033 or a TM-103 or any number of mics But the senheiser 421 has spent it's best days micing rack toms on a live drum kit. Use the right gear you'll get the right sound. Use the wrong gear and, well you see what you've got.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:23 PM

This may seem obvious, but is the talent speaking loud enough? Six inches isn't that far; maybe he/she isn't projecting. I agree that you'd be better off with a condenser mic, but I've recorded acceptable VO with an SM58 in a pinch.

I totally agree with the comment above about "it's only a voice-over" syndrome. One of the ways this is often manifested is that people don't realize that they need to hire talent that is skilled at doing this job. It's harder than it seems. Of course I don't know if this is the case in this particular situation.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 01-20-2004, 01:26 PM

quote: " V/O's done properly should be done with a condenser or ribbon Mic. "

Say what? I generally do prefer an 87 if the talent has good technique, but the SM7 and RE20 have been pretty much the standard VO mics forever. This is partly because they don't accentuate sibilance like most condensers can, and partly because they have little proximity effect so the talent can get very close. A third benefit is their natural HF roll-off, which can give that "FM radio voice" type of sound. Ribbons can indeed work well for the same reasons, but you will need even more gain, and will have to be very careful about 'plosives.

meeco_45, a 421 isn't a great choice (too dark) but you certainly should be getting acceptable levels. Perhaps the mic is defective?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:52 PM

Why does the talent need to be so far from the mic? I'm VO talent--using RE20s I'm never more than 2 inches from the mic.
The talent can project, but how "loud" do you want it to sound?
PT 11
----
Never Stop Playing.
DBCooperVO.com
Old 01-20-2004, 03:38 PM

Normal for a MD421!! This is a drum mic used on toms. If the guy screamed your level would be high enough.

Use a condenser mic.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:44 AM

No, not entirely true. A number of years ago I recorded an entire 12 hour radio play in a small-ish room with four MD421's. We could have used anything, including an excellent array of sweet 47's, 67's, 87's, 414's, RE20's, whatever. It was a bigtime studio. We auditioned everything with our talent group and the producer chose the 421's. It was not a mistake, either. The final production sounded excellent at the time and now years later I believe it still stands up well. 3-6 inches off of a 421 (with a pop filter) is a tight crisp sound. There is a presence boost on those mics, which is what the producer liked about them, but the quality was still excellent. By the way, his alternate choice at the time was KM84's, again because of some built in color! My alternate choice was U87's. No one cared for the other choices.

Low level? Yeah, not as hot as a good condenser, but a reasonably decent pre should have no trouble. I still like voice over recorded on a 421, as long as the sibilance can be controlled.

If you have hiss from the pre, then something is wrong. If you have very low level into Pro Tools, then something else is wrong. There should be enough gain for a close-mic'd talent.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:40 AM

Hes dealing with MD421 "II" not the originals. These new models almost feel like they have a buit in pad. I was stuck with 4 of tthose on the last show I did. Hated every moment of it.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:15 AM

Bingo,
Have you checked to see if "The Pad" is in? Sometimes with a shotgun mic people put in a pad.If it's in, REMOVE IT!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:25 AM

Marti.

The names not bingo!!!
The 421 II does have a roll off knob at the back, they sound terrible when turned to "S" for speech.
Turn it to "M" for music. and roll-off on the board or in PT.