Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 08:14 AM

Default Using MBox as main sound card

Hey everyone,

Just had a quick question about using the MBox as my main sound card so I can play everything through it.

Long story short is when I built my new system I did not enable onboard audio on my mobo caus I wanted to use the MBox for everything to run out through my 5.1's and TR8's in the room and what not.

Everything is cool if I play a DVD, do work in PT, listen to MP3's in winamp, and what not, but when I go into certain applications it does not recognize the MBox as my main sound card out even though I went into the Control Panel in XP Pro and selected it as my main audio device. It seems to choose to ignore it all together...... Also, I was previously able to play audio cd's from my NEC 1300 DVD/RW/CD/RW drive which came up in Windows Media player by default (unfortunately) and yesterday it started skipping on the audio no matter which cd I was attempting to play (I tried 12 different cd's from various artists with various media formats).

I know its not the drive caus it plays DVD audio just fine, I am able to watch DVD's, I can rip .wav's for loops I have on cd's and they come out crystal clear when I play them back. I even did a firmware flash on the drive to update the new media contents and what not which is still not working with audio cd's and certain software.

Any idea's why certain programs wouldn't recognize the main sound properties on my system to play audio out, and why my NEC drive might start skipping on regular audio cd's in the last day roughly? A good example is when I load an audio cd, it defaults to WMP and when I try to load the .cda files into winamp I get no audio..... However, when I load mp3's or .wav files..etc. into winamp I can crank it up no prob.... its weird...

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Charlie
Old 12-16-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Using MBox as main sound card

p.s. I have PT LE 6.1 on my system if that helps with anything.... don't think it is a PT issue though...... Just want to be able to use my Digi hardware to play everything.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:46 AM

actually... I just thought of something..... Would the playback thing be caused by buffering and latency from the computer to the MBox via USB 1.1 instead of 2.0?
Old 12-16-2004, 02:41 PM

Old 12-17-2004, 06:46 AM

have you downloaded the Digi mme helper from the digidesign site. you'll need this to hear explorer, for example, through your mbox.

fresh
Old 12-21-2004, 03:18 PM

yeah, have the mme helper already and it works great for certain apps. but does not recognize the ASIO drivers for some reason with other apps.... it is really weird. I have my windows control panel settings set up with the Mbox as my main sound I/O and every app. works except for 2 of them... I could always un-install those apps. and then re-install caus they were on there before the Mbox was ever installed.... Hmm.... I think I will give that a shot and see how it goes. Its not a life or death situation, but just inconvenient at points sorta ya know.