How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Eligibility to price of the PT11 upgrade in Avid store

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Safer if you don;t get what you pay for you file a claim with Paypal.
PayPal does not warrant for software.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 AM

One thing no one's mentioned in this thread yet ...

Be very careful about 'which' upgrade you purchase ....

Check your current iLok first ...

Do you have a PT9+PT10 bundle pair of licences, or do you have wholly separate PT9 and PT10 licences.

It is likely that when you got the free PT10 upgrade, you will have surrendered your old PT9 licence for a bundled PT9+PT10 pair of licences.

In that case, you must make sure you purchase a PT9+PT10 to PT11 upgrade, not a PT10 to PT11 upgrade. See the subtle difference?

If you don't purchase EXACTLY the correct upgrade based on EXACTLY the correct type of your existing licence(s), then the upgrade process will fail because when it tries to take your old licence before depositing the new PT10+PT11 licence bundle .... it won't find the licence it needs.

BEWARE!
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Thank you all for your answers.

It seems, when I decide to buy the PT11 upgrade, I will go through the official Avid store, as this business selling upgrades on eBay seems fishy... I don't understand how some eBay seller, despite his eBay reputation, may sell Avid software at such lower cost and on what basis. I've also checked out Sweatwater.com; they also offer Pro Tools upgrades, but at the same price as in the Avid store.

All in all, I will have to upgrade any time soon, as I've invested pretty much lately both in my DAW computer hardware and in virtual instruments, and the 64-bit compatibility is the only way of getting the most out this investment. However, I must say the price of this upgrade is really steep, when I think that this is really a matter of bad luck in my case. Had our Avid dealers in Croatia had Mbox 3 with Pro Tools 10 instead of 9 in stock, I would now have PT11 for free.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 AM

nigelpry, thank you very much for the warning.

I really must check this out, as I'm not sure at the moment what kind of licence I have. All I know is that I've got PT9 with my Mbox3 which I've registered and activated on iLok, and that I've then got the free PT10 upgrade which I've also activated. Currently, I have only PT10 installed on my system; I don't really need PT9 anymore.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 AM

Hi, I'm not at my DAW computer at the moment, so I can't check out my iLok account, but I'm looking at the PT11 upgrade option in Avid Store right now, and it offers only crossgrades from MP, LE and EX versions and upgrades from PT9 and 10. I don't see anything about PT9 + PT10 licence. This is what confuses me; I have valid PT10 licence, but I didn't purchased PT10 as a part of the bundle or seperately; I've got a free PT10 upgrade from PT9. But I suppose I'm still entitled to use PT10 to PT11 upgrade option from Avid Store.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Ok, that is very interesting indeed. Avid have changed the store, so it no longer gives separate upgrades for PT10 to PT11 and PT9+PT10 to PT11.

There was lots of discussion in the past on this forum where people chose the wrong one and then had to go through a time consuming process to get the mney refunded before they could hen buy the correc upgrade.

The two upgrades were the same price, but one insisted on you surrendering just a PT10 licnc on its own and the other insisted on surrendering a licence bundle with PT9 and PT10 togethe.

Maybe Avid has finally updated it so the upgrade can accept either type of licence. Bruce, anyone, can you confirm?
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:55 AM

Also, you getting PT11 for free has absolutely nothing to do with the box you bought.

It does not matter whether your box had PT9 or PT10 if you bought it new from a store.

There is also plenty of discussion in this forum from other people who discovered that their box had PT9 inside.

There is only one important thing .... what date did you buy it? Then, is that date AFTER the eligibility date set by Avid for free upgrades? And if it is, can you prove you bought it after the date.

The bad news is you said earlier in his discussion that you bought it February 19th 2013. As roberts already said in an earlier message, you only get a free upgrade to PT11 if you bought the software after 7th April 2013.

Again, it did not matter what was in the box. It was the date you bought it that was important, because that is what determines if you are entitled to a free upgrade to PT11. Unfortunately, you are not entitled to a free upgrade.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
It seems, when I decide to buy the PT11 upgrade, I will go through the official Avid store, as this business selling upgrades on eBay seems fishy... I don't understand how some eBay seller, despite his eBay reputation, may sell Avid software at such lower cost and on what basis.
Not fishy at all brick and mortar stores have a higher overhead. Virtual stores make up for it by selling in large volume at discounted prices. Check the sellers feedback. Like it's been mentioned If a seller is ripping people off for a few dollars they are not going to be on eBay too long and Paypal will certainly pull there accounts as well. Shop around and you save money
Old 06-10-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
Hi, I'm not at my DAW computer at the moment, so I can't check out my iLok account
How about logging into www.ilok.com
Old 06-11-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
How about logging into www.ilok.com
I don't know my iLok password by heart; I keep passwords concerning my music software and equipment in an encrypted file on my DAW computer (I will transfer them to my LastPass account soon, though).

@nigelpry, thanks for explaining this eligibility to free PT upgrade. I must admit, though I'm not a new customer, I didn't knew that eligibility is solely a matter of date. I have always thought that when you purchase physical version of PT (either with the Avid hardware or separately), you're entitled to the free upgrade to the next big PT version when it is available. So had I've got PT10 instead PT9 when I've purchased my Mbox, I still wouldn't be eligible to free PT11 upgrade if I've bought it before April this year.

So, when I decide to upgrade to PT11, I may use PT10 to PT11 upgrade option from the Avid Store, as I have a valid PT10 license, regardless I haven't purchased PT10 but got it as a free upgrade from PT9.