Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2017, 04:58 PM

Default Re: pro tools slow performance renders it unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
My first inclination would be to use control panel and click on device manager. If any of your hardware shows a yellow exclamation point, there is some sort of conflict.

An interrupt conflict will also create that sort of weird mouse response. If you have a PC mouse, change to a USB mouse, or vice versa.

If you just added a MIDI controller of some sort, it may need a device driver to work properly: it may not be Plug and Play.
no exclamation points in device manager and i've made sure all drivers are up to date. didn't add a midi controller. whenever i drag over some midi notes or click a certain part of a track, it takes about 3-5 seconds and then i get the reaction.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondoodle View Post
no exclamation points in device manager and i've made sure all drivers are up to date. didn't add a midi controller. whenever i drag over some midi notes or click a certain part of a track, it takes about 3-5 seconds and then i get the reaction.
I would suggest taking a look at what other processes might be running and grabbing cpu cycles. There used to be a routine in Windows called msmsgs.exe (Windows Messenger) that ran all the time whether you needed it or not and that WILL bring a machine to it's knees. Best disable it somehow if you have it.

QAPLA!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:18 AM

And get and run LatencyMon to see what may be causing issues.

Have a look at this thread too for other suggestions.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 PM

And post a Sandra report. Maybe you have too little RAM. Maybe your recording drive is too full(most drives need a good 20% of free space at all times). If the rig worked great 6 months ago, what changed? New programs, updates, new plugin, some new piece of hardware.....The time to save an image of a system drive is when things are running well. That way, you could try reverting to that image. It may also be worth running a few programs like a good anti-virus, malewarebyte's anti-malware and Spybot Search&Destroy. If they report bad stuff, let them clean out the bad stuff and then uninstall those programs(you don't want them constantly running in the background).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
And post a Sandra report. Maybe you have too little RAM. Maybe your recording drive is too full(most drives need a good 20% of free space at all times). If the rig worked great 6 months ago, what changed? New programs, updates, new plugin, some new piece of hardware.....The time to save an image of a system drive is when things are running well. That way, you could try reverting to that image. It may also be worth running a few programs like a good anti-virus, malewarebyte's anti-malware and Spybot Search&Destroy. If they report bad stuff, let them clean out the bad stuff and then uninstall those programs(you don't want them constantly running in the background).
what is a sandra report? i've got 12GB of ram and protools only uses a max of 8 i believe. all other apps have been shut down. i read somewhere about not having the edit window open while youre doing midi editing. it helps a little but still slow and barely usable. nothing changed, this issue started overnight. ran malware bytes. this is frustrating.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
what is a sandra report?
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=359978

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 04-18-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
what is a sandra report? i've got 12GB of ram and protools only uses a max of 8 i believe. all other apps have been shut down. i read somewhere about not having the edit window open while youre doing midi editing. it helps a little but still slow and barely usable. nothing changed, this issue started overnight. ran malware bytes. this is frustrating.
PT11 and above can use as much memory as your machine has that's leftover from whatever the operating system grabs. The only time having more than one window open should cause issues is if your video system is slow. Or you're recording to the system drive if it's a spinner.

QAPLA!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:32 PM

new update: I closed all windows except for midi editor, and it got slightly better, but when i was playing the song and editing the the composition at the same time, things were normal. everything happened instantly. no waiting. no lagging. i disabled my video card and tried to use the onboard graphics which didn't help at all. my video card is running games just fine so i don't see how it could be running slow for pro tools but fine when running games or video editing on adobe premiere.