Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 10:19 AM

Default What can we expect with PT7?

Just wondering if there is anyone here who knows what we should expect with the upcoming release of PT7? Will all of our plugins still work or are there gonna be necessary updates? I work with Logic and Digital Performer as well... will these programs need to be updated to work with the new DAE? If installing version 7 breaks these things, then I'm going to have to wait to upgrade until these updates become available. There are several features of this upgrade that I'm absolutely dying for and want them as a part of my workflow immediately, but not if I can't keep working with all of my plugins and applications. I'm trying to determine whether I should plan to jump in quickly with this one or if I should let the dust settle.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jamey
IMDB
Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: What can we expect with PT7?

I'm not sure exactly when it'll be available. I think AES is just going to show what PT7 can do, rather than have it available to use immediately (maybe someone with more knowlegde than myself can give an estimate of availabilty here?).

Personally I ALWAYS wait till the first few DUC members have installed and come back with issues (there are bound to be a couple) before diving in. I seem to always be mid-project when new versions are released, so I'm always pretty wary of upgrading, just in case.......

However, I do always find it highly amusing reading the inevitable moaning threads that go along the lines of:
"I have a super-duper mega world class project coming in to record tomorrow with my MBox.... I just upgraded to PT7 and Tiger, at the same time and rewired my studio... and I don't know why it doesn't work..... I haven't read any of the compatibility documents, I didn't repair the disk permissions and nothing works.... It's all Digi's fault..... My cassette 4-track never used to be this complicated.... why don't my guitar tracks sound like Stevie Ray Vaughan..... it's all Digi's fault...."

With the upgrade to 6.9, and the move to Tiger, I've been VERY impressed with
A: the small number of problems there were this time around... and
B: the speed with which these were resolved.

It seems as if the Beta-Testers are doing a thorough job of ironing out most of the issues early on.
Hopefully the move to PT7 will be equally smooth (although with the enormous changes in MIDI implementation, and RTAS use, and the inevitable changes this will make to the way PT relates to third party software, it may not be such a smooth ride this time)
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 PM

Was at an event today where all the majors Digi, Logic, Mackie, Yamaha, etc had stands.

Pressed the Digi guys about PT7, but they were staying tight lipped, "even we need to wait until the 7th!", not that I believed them. But I did manage to get a blush when I talked about the "almost" channel like description we have heard about the new Digirack Dynamics III. So it sounds good, seems also that there are a few under the hood fixes, again not that any firm details were given.

Couldn't get a firm upgrade price or when it would be "in the shops", but got the impression that it would be a little time after the 7th.

Anyway only 3 days to go....sounds like Christmas is early this year
(is that the first DUC Christmas mention ?)

regards (or should that be Ho Ho Ho)
Scotsman
Old 10-04-2005, 04:02 PM

PT 7 will be primarily a MIDI-heavy upgrade, bringing it in to line with other software in this department. The new Instrument Tracks should be a significant new feature. Also, RTAS implimentation should be improved for better host processing in general.
On a more purely aesthetic level, the logos have been redesigned, so there'll probably be a slightly swankier UI.

It should be shipped for general release a few weeks after this Friday.

All this information is what I could glean from the horse's mouth - they are indeed tight-lipped animals!

However, it would seem that there are greater gems to behold in this new version that noone has spoken of yet (the possibility of more tracks in LE being one of them), so I personally can't wait 'till Friday.

Of course, it will never be enough for some people - this, at least, is garaunteed.

Sonny
Old 10-04-2005, 04:57 PM

Quote:
On a more purely aesthetic level, the logos have been redesigned
I reckon the last time the Digidesign logo was redesigned, new hardware came along with it (HD, 2002). Anyone care to correct me?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 PM

I'd Say Plug-ins will need to be Upgraded to work Properly

I also See iLok protection

And yes 10 years in the making...........MIDI?????

Can't wait

My 2¢
Old 10-04-2005, 11:49 PM

Quote:
However, I do always find it highly amusing reading the inevitable moaning threads that go along the lines of:
"I have a super-duper mega world class project coming in to record tomorrow with my MBox.... I just upgraded to PT7 and Tiger, at the same time and rewired my studio... and I don't know why it doesn't work..... I haven't read any of the compatibility documents, I didn't repair the disk permissions and nothing works.... It's all Digi's fault..... My cassette 4-track never used to be this complicated.... why don't my guitar tracks sound like Stevie Ray Vaughan..... it's all Digi's fault...."
So true. If you are working on ANYTHING of significance why in the H$%ck would you risk it by upgrading. I also have the absolutely MOST stable config right now that it is going to be hard for me leave it.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 AM

word is the new packaging will include a slide ruler to help calculate your gradual tempo changes.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I reckon the last time the Digidesign logo was redesigned, new hardware came along with it (HD, 2002). Anyone care to correct me?
There will be no new hardware introduced this Friday, software only. This is 95% definate.

Quote:
word is the new packaging will include a slide ruler to help calculate your gradual tempo changes.
That's cool, haven;t heard that one.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:
I will. The logos were updated for 6.0. HD was introed on 5.3.
-Matt