Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Manual Delay Comp Problem

Digi support Tech,
I enjoy recording to tape and porting that directly off the repro head into my Daw. Not a problem when recording the main tracks, but overdubs require a record offset to timestamp the audio and have it slip back in time. My current daw allows me to offset the record timestamp by up to 64000 samples. What is the max number of samples -> converted into milliseconds that can be used for the H/W Insert Delay? My typical sample delays at 88.2k are 7772 at 30 ips and approximately 15,000 at 15 ips. So can this amount of delay be corrected for using the H/W Insert delay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I should have been more explicit and I also referenced the wrong person.

You don't have to say anything more than once - I get it. Sometimes, though, given the hundreds of DUC posts I'm not able to give every one of them the amount of attention it needs. The comments about someone being surprised that no one from Avid has chimed in is one of the reasons I wanted to at least put something in this thread, though I think, in hindsight, that it was premature.

SteveBoker had it right regarding the H/W Insert Delay in this post:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1711016&postcount=30

Now, unless I'm mistaken, that should work for you. Yes, I know you're NOT using inserts, but we're just doing this as a workaround. I should have been more clear on that.

And, yes, the ability to manually compensate for delays has not been fully implemented yet, for various reasons.

One thing I wanted to point out is that delays in interfaces should automatically be compensated for via the ASIO or Core Audio polling that occurs at driver level and the only manual compensation that should be needed is when you have an external device in your recording chain that's inducing additional delays.

I did want to point something out, though - you say:

The RME is your interface you're using for Pro Tools, correct? If so, it should automatically be compensated for as long as it's reporting it's correct delays via the ASIO or Core Audio driver. The only delay you should have to compensate for is for the device(s) between the microphone and the RME. Is that what you're doing? The buffer in the RME, if it's the primary Pro Tools interface, is automatically compensated for.