Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2016, 07:48 AM

Default problem with sends & returns etc.

Hi guys. Me again. I'm new to using sends, returns with aux tracks so please bare with me. I've watched several Youtube videos on the subject and I'm either not following or not understanding the instructions or something is different with my rig. Please correct me if the following is not correct.
1). Inserts A-F are on screen.
2). Sends A-F are on screen.
I click on Insert A for the track I wish the effect to affect. (the insert straight above the guitar track). In this case I want a reverb on the guitar, I then create an Aux track and rename it Reverb.
(The aux track appears just to the right of my Guitar track).
I think I'm ok up to this point. My confusion lies in the bus assignments. Please explain how and to which tracks I assign the bus. I hope this isn't confusing to you but it is to me or at least to me it doesn't follow logic.
One other thing. According to related posts I have been advised to leave the mix level of the reverb plugin at max. When I do I hear way to much verb even with the aux fader at 0! and wind up reducing the plugin level to a listenable level. Thanks to anyone who can straighten me out on this.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:17 AM

Default Re: problem with sends & returns etc.

You have to click on the send, not the insert, on the track you are trying to SEND to the effect on the AUX track. The insert is used on the AUX track
Old 02-27-2016, 04:14 PM

ok Glenjb. Let's see if I understand what your saying. I select the first box under sends (*A) above the track that I want the effect applied to. Then I set the bus send assignment for the send to bus 1. (or any available bus, stereo or mono). The effect control slider appears. Now I create an aux track and rename it Reverb. Then I set the input on the aux track, now called Reverb to bus 1, or any available bus, mono or stereo. Then I click on the aux/reverb track insert (*A) and select multi channel>D-verb. The D-verb plug in window appears. As I play the track, I should be able to raise the slider on the effect control to a reasonable reverb level. Now if I have described the procedure correctly all should be well. As to the advice about leaving the effect mix setting at 100% I'm not sure yet! Am I correct? Back to you Glenjb and thanks.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:10 PM

Almost always 100% on aux
Old 02-28-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
ok Glenjb. Let's see if I understand what your saying. I select the first box under sends (*A) above the track that I want the effect applied to. Then I set the bus send assignment for the send to bus 1. (or any available bus, stereo or mono). The effect control slider appears. Now I create an aux track and rename it Reverb. Then I set the input on the aux track, now called Reverb to bus 1, or any available bus, mono or stereo. Then I click on the aux/reverb track insert (*A) and select multi channel>D-verb. The D-verb plug in window appears. As I play the track, I should be able to raise the slider on the effect control to a reasonable reverb level. Now if I have described the procedure correctly all should be well. As to the advice about leaving the effect mix setting at 100% I'm not sure yet! Am I correct? Back to you Glenjb and thanks.
The above post, instructions for creating sends/returns with aux tracks, was a time consuming process for me and was accomplished by jumping back and forth, step by step while entering the text in the forum and alternately viewing a Youtube instructional video on the subject. Although Youtube is a great source for learning the screenshots are small and the people doing the instructions are not always fluent with their instructions. Combine this with a learning disability and you have a formula for frustration! Anyway, in the end I finally understand the process. Thanks to anyone who contributed their help.