Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 AM

Default HD Native on Core Cards

The way I see it, there is no reason (other than financial/business reasons) why HD Native could not be made to run with everyone's existing core cards. I can't see Avid would do it... Unless that's the big announcement at AES - Pro Tools 8.x HD - choose between Native and TDM on a session by session basis? The rumours I'm hearing suggest that anything announced at AES will be software not hardware...

Discuss...!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 AM

Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
The way I see it, there is no reason (other than financial/business reasons) why HD Native could not be made to run with everyone's existing core cards. I can't see Avid would do it... Unless that's the big announcement at AES - Pro Tools 8.x HD - choose between Native and TDM on a session by session basis? The rumours I'm hearing suggest that anything announced at AES will be software not hardware...

Discuss...!
HD Native... as said before... is not a replacement for TDM. It will never work in tandem, nor will it surpass. It will only ever be a starting point or an in-between for LE to HD. There's no point using a Native core next to a TDM core, because the next generation TDM core will be more powerful than it's native counterpart. Guaranteed. TDM will continue to have features and incentives beyond any native Pro Tools system, be it HD|N, LE or M-P. Look at Heat. They wouldn't have just released it along with new HD I/Os if they didn't intend to refresh their dedicated hardware.

The next line of TDM cards are coming soon, and they are going to blow away the current generation.

Aside from that... It's not a rumor that 8.5 will be released at AES. It's confirmed by Avid.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 AM

It would be nice if there was a "native mixer" option in pro tools HD that would put your mixer and voice allocation on the CPU, so all your chips can be used for real plugins. It would be a good middle ground until more powerful cards arrive. Of course you would sacrifice some latency, but you can track with "tdm mixer" and then mix with "native mixer".

As it stands, an HD 1 card is almost a downgrade on an HD native card in big mixes when the mixer uses up a lot of chips.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
As it stands, an HD 1 card is almost a downgrade on an HD native card in big mixes when the mixer uses up a lot of chips.
Yup...

That's why new TDM cards are coming sooner than you think. I really wouldn't be surprised if we saw them as soon as Nov 5th... but probably no later than January.

D

Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
HD

The next line of TDM cards are coming soon, and they are going to blow away the current generation.

Aside from that... It's not a rumor that 8.5 will be released at AES. It's confirmed by Avid.
Well of course they "announced" 8.5, it's what Native runs on, check out the ads.

TH
Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
Well of course they "announced" 8.5, it's what Native runs on, check out the ads.

TH
It is.

But it won't be exclusively for Native. I have a feeling 8.5 will come with other goodies yet to be mentioned.

D

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
HD Native... as said before... is not a replacement for TDM. It will never work in tandem, nor will it surpass. It will only ever be a starting point or an in-between for LE to HD. There's no point using a Native core next to a TDM core, because the next generation TDM core will be more powerful than it's native counterpart. Guaranteed. TDM will continue to have features and incentives beyond any native Pro Tools system, be it HD|N, LE or M-P. Look at Heat. They wouldn't have just released it along with new HD I/Os if they didn't intend to refresh their dedicated hardware.

You've missed the point of my post...

What I'm saying is that there is no reason why Pro Tools HD Native software, could not work with the TDM cards (in place of the Native Card). I.e. it would use this card only to allow the interfaces to work with PT HD Native.

I am NOT saying that Native could "harness the power of TDM" as it seems you have interpreted me as saying. That would be pointless.

This would allow TDM users to purchase a software upgrade which would allow them to run PT HD Native or PT HD TDM (on a session by session basis, as they choose) without the need to purchase an expensive new card. After all the Native card is just a stripped down TDM card - effectively being a PCIe audio interface with a breakout box.

Sure 8.5 is coming, but by the look of it it's purely a compatibility upgrade (adding support for Native cards). I'm saying that it doesn't look like new hardware will be launched at AES.

Please don't turn this into a Native vs TDM thread - it's not intended as such. Please do not turn this into a thread outlining why A is better than B etc. that's been argued to death. Read my post as intended...
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:

What I'm saying is that there is no reason why Pro Tools HD Native software, could not work with the TDM cards (in place of the Native Card). I.e. it would use this card only to allow the interfaces to work with PT HD Native.
Hi,

HD cards are simply not designed to have a native mixer!! Never going to happen!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

HD cards are simply not designed to have a native mixer!! Never going to happen!

Chris
What he said.

D

Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I am NOT saying that Native could "harness the power of TDM" as it seems you have interpreted me as saying. That would be pointless.

This would allow TDM users to purchase a software upgrade which would allow them to run PT HD Native or PT HD TDM (on a session by session basis, as they choose) without the need to purchase an expensive new card. After all the Native card is just a stripped down TDM card - effectively being a PCIe audio interface with a breakout box.

Sure 8.5 is coming, but by the look of it it's purely a compatibility upgrade (adding support for Native cards). I'm saying that it doesn't look like new hardware will be launched at AES.

Please don't turn this into a Native vs TDM thread - it's not intended as such. Please do not turn this into a thread outlining why A is better than B etc. that's been argued to death. Read my post as intended...
I wasn't arguing between HD vs HD|N.... so please read my posts...

8.1 was a compatibility upgrade.

8.5 will be more than that.

As crizdee mentioned... TDM cards do not have the same architecture as HD|N. They are designed completely differently, and will never have anything to do with one another.

D