Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 AM

Default saving le sessions for HD

i worked on a project recently in which all the instrument tracks were cut in nashville on a pro tools HD system using a G5 and PT 7. the vocals were then recorded at my place using my macbook pro, PT le 7, and my 002r. the tracks were then sent back to nashville to be mixed.

when i got the hd files, all i had to do was switch audio engines from HD to my 002r, and re route all the outputs. simple and pretty automatic. well, the engineers in nashville have been complaining that i "didnt save the project correctly" and "they spent 4 hrs correcting my files". what did i miss? we are both using PT7. is it not as simple to open le projects in HD? am i just falling victim to nashville pro tools HD snobbery? another note, there were no plugins at all on this project...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:14 AM

Default Re: saving le sessions for HD

oh yeah, they wont give me details to what i did wrong so i can correct the problem...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 AM

Well, I am a Nashville HD guy. I would hope you aren't grouping all HD guys in Nashville into the snob category. While I'll agree that there are probably some in town (and everywhere else too), I hope its not an overall thing.

Its hard to say without more info. I own both HD and LE rigs and transfer back and forth all the time. I try to stay on HD as much as possible, but it doesn't always work that way. Typically I don't have problems (except for TDM plugs not being available from HD to LE). Usually, if there is a problem, it will be from HD to LE rather than LE to HD. The HD system can usually open just about anything I throw at it. As you stated, I/O setup and playback engine are the only things that come up. Any version of 7 should be compatible too.

Sorry this isn't really helping your situation, but at least it gives you a parallel.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM

na, i am smart enough not to throw everyone into that category. who knows, maybe they are just mad cuz they didnt get the vocal work...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Yeah, I'm with jre on this one. I've gone back and forth on HD systems of all sorts and LE systems of all sorts and beyond the known problems of version mismatches and i/o resetting, I've never had much of a problem. That of course assumes that there are no plug-ins used.

The only real problem I've had with shuffling back and forth is generally with the person I'm swapping with. If they don't manage their files properly, then it can cause problems...missing files, etc. That's not easily fixed though, at least not without some communication with the other person. Even with that though, it's not usually a problem if I'm the originator of the session because I will establish a method for how and where the sessions are saved and unless the person goes in and changes the disk allocation manually, it will be fine.

I'd be interested to know more about the problem they had with your session; not so much for the gossip value, but to see if there's something we should all know to avoid the problems in the future.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
maybe they are just mad cuz they didnt get the vocal work...
extremely possible.

I've had clients that have taken my mixes to their friends (that happen to be engineers on some level). When the client leaves, they are happy. After they talk to their friends, they hear all these things that are "wrong" with the mix. The client comes back in trying to throw out terms that they don't know the meaning of. Its interesting.

I bet next time the client will just stay with them because it cost her 4 hours of studio time to fix her bad decision of bringing in a second engineer. You may be right on thinking that was their goal.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8