How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio 1311 View Post
Admittedly, I don't really see the need for track folders. Especially considering what can be done with Memory Locations etc

Obviously, I could be wrong, and not fully understanding how they could enhance a workflow. But, I have never found myself wanting or wishing for a folder system in PT.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I do quite a bit of post-production sound for indie films on the side, and track folders would be absolutely fantastic for that sort of work. Between dialogue, sound effects, room tones, ambiences, foley, cloth, music, etc. - I could have a hundred tracks w/ additional aux channels and busses. It sometimes just bugs my eyes out looking for something amongst all those tracks (there's a lot of empty space between scenes that don't require the same audio components). I'd love to condense full "sections," like the ones listed above, into one track that just indicates the levels when I'm working on specific sections. Maybe having some inserts would be great. I'm just working in stereo, so I couldn't only imagine how dirty a surround project can look. Hiding the tracks just sadly isn't enough.

For home or small studio music recording, I couldn't see this being as big of a deal. Although I'm really excited for its hopeful future inclusion, because it will save me so much time and enhance my workflow in ways I couldn't even mention above.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Jr. View Post
I do quite a bit of post-production sound for indie films on the side, and track folders would be absolutely fantastic for that sort of work. Between dialogue, sound effects, room tones, ambiences, foley, cloth, music, etc. - I could have a hundred tracks w/ additional aux channels and busses. It sometimes just bugs my eyes out looking for something amongst all those tracks (there's a lot of empty space between scenes that don't require the same audio components). I'd love to condense full "sections," like the ones listed above, into one track that just indicates the levels when I'm working on specific sections. Maybe having some inserts would be great. I'm just working in stereo, so I couldn't only imagine how dirty a surround project can look. Hiding the tracks just sadly isn't enough.

For home or small studio music recording, I couldn't see this being as big of a deal. Although I'm really excited for its hopeful future inclusion, because it will save me so much time and enhance my workflow in ways I couldn't even mention above.
I'm not opposed to having Track Folders as a feature. I'm sure I could find a use for it, or possibly even wonder how I got along without it before we had it.

However, I'm left with this thought with regards to audio post production workflows- We have a lot of features in PT that are directly influenced by post engineers. Guys dealing with tons of tracks, like yourself, but PT doesn't have this feature yet?

Old 03-06-2019, 05:12 PM

Its not so much the track folders, for me the hugest thing is clip bin folders.....can you imagine if you were able to switch between folder by track, alphabetical,scene or timeline DME, etc etc etc......imagine how clean it would be......ive got thousands of clips and duplicates, its insane....and theyre sorting method is weird....mixed with my track note idea would be awesome....i'll VOLUNTEER to help design and beta it.......PLEEEEEAASSEE....
Old 03-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not opposed to having Track Folders as a feature. I'm sure I could find a use for it, or possibly even wonder how I got along without it before we had it.

However, I'm left with this thought with regards to audio post production workflows- We have a lot of features in PT that are directly influenced by post engineers. Guys dealing with tons of tracks, like yourself, but PT doesn't have this feature yet?

Track Folders are a godsend if you write a lot of music using templates and need a lot of flexibility.

I fiddle around in Cubase a bit, and the fact that I can stick all of my Aux Returns and FX Returns in a collapsable Folder, where I don't have to see them, but can access them MUCH faster than Show/Hide in PT, and grouping tracks for similar types of instruments that I may or may not use on a given job (BASS can be 3 audio tracks for Bass Guitar, some synth bass VIs, and an 808 VI) and not have to re-make the Memory location if i want to add or remove tracks from that folder.... awesome! PT 2019, bring it home, please!
Attached Images
File Type: png BassTrax.png (40.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png FXTrax.png (36.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:

I suspect that windows memory configuration to configure the different tracks into memory location which basically equates having track folders, is being widely use in post and also mix.

If anyone is wondering what I mean by this, here's a video showing what the idea is (no sound)

Wave-T.com
Old 03-06-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I suspect that windows memory configuration to configure the different tracks into memory location which basically equates having track folders, is being widely use in post and also mix.
I would imagine so, as well. I know I use Windows Config & Memory Locations quite a bit. And I rarely get above 48 tracks.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
This is very useful indeed. Thank you.
It would be great if you could combine sets. Say you wanted to show just your strings and FX or just your strings and horns in any combination. As it stands, it seems that you would have to make a new memory location for various combinations.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:

If anyone is wondering what I mean by this, here's a video showing what the idea is (no sound)
Brilliant! Thank you!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Pro Tools 2020: Pay to get the opportunity to pay for a yearly subscription: 199$ only!

I had decided to stop renewing my yearly Pro Tools updates subscription, until I noticed that Apple won't be releasing 10.14.6 until after my subscription ends, and then Avid will also be taking their sweet, sweet time updating Pro Tools for compatibility as well. Since it seems like Mojave will be the OS to stick to for years to come (you never know what ******** Apple will be pulling out of their hat for the next OS, as they've been doing for the last few years: Yosemite, El Crapitan, and High Sierra), I've decided to subscribe one last time, just to get the Pro Tools version that will support 10.14.6, to be able to open my older PT sessions later on. Other than that beep you, Avid.

Also, you people should be wary of Pro Tools (for the initial reason I stopped using it), it still has that noise bug from 12.4. It happened to me on 12.8.3 while using the UAD Pultec. Very dangerous stuff. Emailed support, they couldn't replicate it. I could even after uninstalling/Updating/Downgrading and coming back to 12.8.3. Now I can't open a PT session without being on edge the whole time. On 12.4 it was the trim function, on 12.8.3 it was with a third party plugin as well as when opening that same session. You never know when it will be your turn and they won't be able to replicate it.
Pro Tools 2021.10
Cubase Pro 11.0.41
Logic Pro X 10.6.3
Apollo Twin DUO MKII
UAD-2 Satellite QUAD Thunderbolt
Old 03-07-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, but ....

If you use this "feature" with playlists view, it does not work. It is unusable.

Sorry for the lengthy description and repro below, but apparently, few others know of and/or complain about this easily reproducible bug.

This is a bug and it has been present since at least PT 10. I have experienced it in each version of PT since 2014 on Windows and Mac. I have started support tickets twice over the years. Avid has acknowledged the issue in a reply to my first support ticket, but they have yet to fix it.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...17#post2124417

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=284021

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=306595

The quick summary is that, if you save a session with tracks in playlist view, show/hide tracks memory locations become corrupted. The workaround is to always put all tracks in some other view such as waveform or volume automation prior to saving. If an automatic backup occurs while the tracks are in playlist view, that backup session file is corrupted and you cannot import session data from it to get back your memory locations. Another imperfect workaround is to use edit and/or mix groups.

I am heavily reliant on show/hide memory locations to keep complex sessions organized and to navigate the session. This bug is my nemesis! It is extremely frustrating to have to reconstruct all your memory locations because, in the heat of a creative moment, you reflexively hit Command+S before remembering to put all tracks in waveform view.

Below is the text from the most recent support ticket I submitted last year:

Quote:
I am using Pro Tools HD 2018.1 on Mac OS High Sierra.

In a Pro Tools session with memory locations involving Track Show/Hide status, saving the session with playlists view engaged corrupts the memory locations.

Repro:

(1) Create a new empty session (not from a template).

(2) Create three audio tracks.

(3) Check "Automatically create new playlists when loop recording" in Preferences>Operation, and then

(i) engage loop recording mode
(ii) set locators to a 1-bar loop
(iii) record arm all three tracks
(iv) record two passes through the looped region - this will generate two playlists for each of the three tracks.

[This step is not critical to the repro, but it is a fast way to get a bunch of playlists.]

(4) Open playlist view to check that the playlists were created, but put all three tracks back in waveform view.

(5) Create these five track show/hide memory locations in this order:
track 1 only
track 2 only
tracks 1 and 2
all three tracks
track 3 only.

(6) Test out your memory locations. They should all work properly.

(7) Put track 2 in playlist view, then back to waveform view, and save the session.

8) Close the session and reopen it. All five memory locations should still work properly.

(9) Now put track 2 in playlist view, and save the session with track 2 in playlist view.

(10) Close the session and reopen it.

(11) The first three memory locations should be working, but the third and fourth will not. Specifically, any memory location involving track 3 will not show track 3.

The pattern seems to be: when a session is saved with any tracks in playlist view, any memory locations involving tracks below the track left in playlist view are corrupted.

In the context of this simple test, it doesn't look too bad, but in a large session with a complex arrangement and meticulously created memory locations involving show/hide tracks, this is a nightmare.

Your first reaction might be like mine - I'll just remember to put all tracks in waveform view before saving. But when you are working and have a dozen things to remember, this doesn't always happen. I tend to save frequently and on the fly after important edits, changes, or recordings. Further, automatically saved backup sessions are affected. And you cannot import the memory locations as session data because they are corrupted in the saved sessions.
I am hoping for track folders primarily because Avid refuses to address this particular bug which has been present for many years. I have literally spent $599 + $399 + $399 hoping that my payments for support will bring a fix for this bug. I have no stability issues, I have zero need for additional I/O, free samples/instruments/plugins, ARA, and I couldn't care less about cloud collaboration. I just want this one thing fixed!