Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Quad Macs... released today.

It seems that Apple is always doing this to us. Whereas Windows machines seem to have some respect for the consumer and their investment in legacy gear (they had floppies until recently, they continue to have legacy parallel and serial ports as well as USB 2.0 and now have both PCI and PCI exp slots). You can still put a mix system into a brand new 3ghz plus windows box.

Apple on the other hand is constantly shoving things down our throats. First, no floppy when we still had tons of floppy installs, and of course suddenly no more legacy serial ports shoving USB 1 down our throats. Then they killed off the Mix systems with the PCI x debacle and now this. The problem is we're dealing with a main platform that has a customer be damned attitude. It's good for the newbie purchasing his first system, and screws people and businesses with investments in older hardware.

That said, these new machines must be smokin.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:28 PM

And I was really hoping there'd be a legacy slot for my NuBuss SampleCells. Guess I'll still be running the IIfx awhile longer....
God, remember when we used to get SIX slots to play with?!?
BTW, I have a punch card reader for sale if anyone wants one

Those quad-cores better come with an isolation cabinet - they're either going to be jetplane noisy or coal-furnace hot!

PCI-E to PCI-X chassis

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedPr...System/17659/1
Old 10-19-2005, 05:25 PM

Don't you think Magma (the expansion chassis king) will make a PCI Express to PCI expansion chassis ???
It just seems only normal. Actually why don't they already have it ? Maybe they do ?? I am sure they will.
Them other companies are just NOT supported by Digi.... right ? So we should to stick with Magma.

But with all that said, maybe coming, maybe not, etc... We would all still have to wait to make sure the New Quad Apples engines/logic board /brains is even compatible / supported to be used with Pro Tools (keeping the fact that the cards wont even go in the slots out of it for now)...

So, either way, it is pretty far down the road that it will be acceptable. So for now -- we HAVE to just keep rockin' our Reg. G5's. and I'm happy with that.

I just got off the phone with Apple (Magma's next tomorrow), and Apple said all these new G5's still have the IBM chips in them. And the INTEL chip ones will NOT be released until the middle of next year at THE SOONEST... So man, either way, using a newer G5 than the ones we got now with Pro Tools just ain't happening for a while.

And honestly, I wouldn't trust the INTEL G5's until they have been released for about 1-2 years,,, let Apple work out all them bugs they will have using chips they are unfamilar with, and all the componets of the computers are unfamilar with...

The G5's we have now with IBM chips in them, are the last of a good thing I feel. For a WHILE.... I don't trust INTEL in a Mac for a long time, until the marrage is complete (ha ha) --

Lets just keep doin' what were doin' --
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 10-19-2005, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Don't you think Magma (the expansion chassis king) will make a PCI Express to PCI expansion chassis ???
It just seems only normal. Actually why don't they already have it ? Maybe they do ?? I am sure they will.
Them other companies are just NOT supported by Digi.... right ? So we should to stick with Magma.

SBS was a valid option for many years. They have an option right here and now. If I had one - I'd test it.

What a crime that HD users should have to invest in a clunky , band aid solution just to use a new machine on their favoured platform. These Macs are just interim Macs anyway...something to keep sales ticking over until they release the Intel based machines.

My advice -buy a current G5 DP (they're still around), and use it for a couple years until the new HD cards come out.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 10-19-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:
My advice -buy a current G5 DP (they're still around), and use it for a couple years until the new HD cards come out.
exactly, have been following some early benchmark tests and it looks like the Dual 2.7 crushes the new Dual Core 2.3. Get an "old" Dual 2.7 and wait until the Intel/Mac thing is settled in 2 years.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
exactly, have been following some early benchmark tests and it looks like the Dual 2.7 crushes the new Dual Core 2.3.
Well, you'd expect that, because the Dual Core 2.3 is a single CPU machine. It's not a double dual core (Quad) machine like the high end model.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-19-2005, 06:11 PM

>. Them other companies are just NOT supported by Digi.

SBS was the premier expansion chasis for Digi for many, many years. Remember, companies must pay to become a "Development Partner" -- they must buy space in the catalog and web site... SBS is a major player in the space. SBS is listed on the nasdaq SBSE and has a market cap of about $150 million.

Magma is a division of Mobility Electronics - also a publicly traded company.

web page

I wouldn't rule out either company from making a great product.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:46 PM

So......where's the official Digi Statement???? I assume it's going to say the usual "Until we replace the current hw or find a 3rd party solution....blah, blah..." they'll suggest that new PT TDM users will have to order the new PCI-X G5(but not until it's approved by Digi, if ever.......). I've been waiting to jump ship to a G5(currently using Dual 1Gig G4) and I never did go the Accel route(stuck to my guns.....). I'm definately not going to make the change now until the Mac goes Mactel and Digi releases their next "latest and greatest" which takes advantage of the PCI-Express architecture.

I'm sure they'll release an official statement soon.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:51 PM

Man,, I couldn't agree with "Ducthmuzik", or "Tha K Man" more !!
Which is what it seems the three of us is all saying about this episode...

But Dutchmuzik, can you elaborate more on how you seen these tests proving the Dual 2.7
to be "crushing" the new Dual Core Macs ?? That is VERY interesting and GREAT to know.
It makes me feel better about owning a Dual 2.7, AND keeping it for that matter !!

Now do you mean speed wise, reliability wise, or just generally BETTER ??

I am sure we ALL would like to know about this in more detail anyway, and it STILL does pertain to the thread.

JeremyRoberts wrote:
Quote:
SBS was the premier expansion chasis for Digi for many, many years. Remember, companies must pay to become a "Development Partner" -- they must buy space in the catalog and web site... SBS is a major player in the space. SBS is listed on the nasdaq SBSE and has a market cap of about $150 million.

Magma is a division of Mobility Electronics - also a publicly traded company.

web page

I wouldn't rule out either company from making a great product.
Thanks for the info Jeremy, I didn't know that. (I guess I'm too much of a young buck to have known that) sorry...
But I will keep that info in mind... For now since I got a Magma chassis anyway, and am not going for these new Quad Macs, but instead just gunna roll with my 2.7 Dually , I have no reason to go buy a new different expansion chassis...

But for when the next time arises, I will keep SBS in mind...

Thanks again dude !!
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 10-21-2005, 07:48 AM

" I wouldn't trust the INTEL G5's until they have been released for about 1-2 years,,,"

Intel G5 is an oxymoron. IBM makes G5's, all G5's are IBM. When the Intel Powermacs ship they will be a flavor of pentium or a successor of it. (and Apple has made it very clear that the Intel boxes will appear next summer at the absolute earliest)

"Well, you'd expect that, because the Dual Core 2.3 is a single CPU machine. It's not a double dual core (Quad) machine like the high end model."

The 2.3 is a dual core single chip, the 2.7 is the previous generation machine with two single core chips. The Quad is a 2.5 machine. And I would hope the 2.7 would beat the 2.3...it does cost more.

The quad machine looks amazing for native users (hopefully I'll be running one very soon) but it's a bit of a pickle for those with PCI cards. At this point, I probably wouldn't upgrade the computer OR the cards in an HD system that's running OK. Actually the option that is most appealing is to get a quad G5, give it to a guy with a native dual G5 rig and put his old box in the HD room.

So why don't the digi compato docs make ANY mention of this new incompatibility??