Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Possible Bug with CoreAudio 6.7?? Anyone else?

Hi all,

I just ran into a funny situation with my CoreAudio 6.7 Drivers and was wondering if anyone else has noticed/run into this.

After launching your computer, Run the "Digi CoreAudio Manager" from the Applications/Digidesign folder. There is no button to add new applications anymore. In 6.4 the app was called "Digi CoreAudio Setup" and it had an applications button in it where you could select which applications could use the CoreAudio driver. But in 6.7 there is no CoreAudio Setup, just CoreAudio Manager. And in the CoreAudio Manager there is no way to Add applications.

Is this supposed to be this way? Am I the only one with this problem? Is there a different way to add new applications to the list of software CoreAudio allows? I looked in the readme and PDF guide for coreaudio 6.7 and it references the old CoreAudio Setup and shows pictures of it. It has no mention or screenshots of the CoreAudio Manager that installed with my 6.7.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 12-03-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Possible Bug with CoreAudio 6.7?? Anyone else?

Hi OGK,

Versions 6.5 and later of the CoreAudio driver are "multi-client", which means you can run several CoreAudio apps simultaneously through your Digi hardware. Hence, there is no longer any need for a Supported Apps list.

The CoreAudio Manager is a server app that connects to your Digi hardware and allows other CoreAudio apps (clients) to connect to it (the Manager app). The Manager app mixes the output from all the client apps and sends the mixed audio to your Digi hardware.

In order to use the multi-client CoreAudio driver, the Manager app must be launched and succesfully connected to your Digi hardware. You can either launch the Manager app manually, or it will be auto-launched by the first CoreAudio client app that attempts to use your Digi hardware. Look at the Prefs in the Manager app for some additional options.

NOTE: Since PT is not itself a CoreAudio app, it cannot be used simultaneously with other CoreAudio apps. In other words, you must quit the CoreAudio Manager app in order to use PT.

Hope this helps,
-Ted

DAE Group
Digi Engineering
Old 12-03-2004, 04:50 PM

It does but it doesn't...

I can't get any new programs I install to use the digi core audio driver. For example, I just installed the Melodyne demo...it sees the CoreAudio driver, and opens the manager and the hardware changes to the correct sample rate. But when I hit play it just sits there and does nothing...when I switch the program to run with the internal sound card it works fine except the sound comes out the speaker on the front of the mac.

When the core audio manager comes up there is a button called Con. which I'm assuming stands for connections. If no app is running; it's grey'd out. If any core audio app is running it's available for clicking, but when you click on it nothing happens.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 12-03-2004, 05:57 PM

Before launching a program go into Sound Control Panel or AudioMIDI Setup and select Digi Hardware on input and output. Some programs may need to be relaunched before seeing CoreAudio. You will hear a little click indicating the DAE engine is active.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Avid

Default Re: Possible Bug with CoreAudio 6.7?? Anyone else

Quote:
Before launching a program go into Sound Control Panel or AudioMIDI Setup and select Digi Hardware on input and output. Some programs may need to be relaunched before seeing CoreAudio. You will hear a little click indicating the DAE engine is active.
Right. Further, some programs depend on their own sound engine preferences which require to set them independent of OS-wide prefs.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."