Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 AM

Default Pro Tools 10 Midi Latency

To make this easy to understand I am gonna explain a simple scenario. In my real workflow I am using about 10 VIs and this is where this problem is happening.

I have a session click track and piano virtual instrument. I have quantized all the notes to the session grid. Within the first 5 minutes of working on the session everything is in sync and playing perfect with the session click. After 5 minutes the piano starts sounding before the click. I look at the notes and they are quantized with grid.

I am honestly bewildered by this. I don't know what to do and this is affecting my workflow dramatically. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Details
3.4 Ghz iMac i7 16gb ram
Pro tools 10.0
UAD Apollo Duo
Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Midi Latency

Are you using PT 10.0? There are a large number of issues resolved throughout the 10.x.x updates.

Does this happen with a particular piano VI, or to all VIs?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM

I had that happen on one song in the past 3 years, where the MIDI was spot on the grid and after so long of playback at a certain bar the midi seemed to get out of whack... same session on multiple versions of PT yielded the same results, however I have many other sessions using the same template of VI's and longer song length with no drift. Not sure if this is corrupt session data or corrupt VI automation data, but it is rare that this has happened for me, last time I saw it before this session was like 5+ years ago.

May try making a fresh new session and importing all the session data from the drifting session to see if it solves the issue.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:07 PM

2 things I would look for here. #1-select Mix Window Shows and check the Delay Compensation option, and look at what is happening with ADC(assuming its turned on in the Options menu). #2-routing. Are you routing stuff thru AUX tracks for some reason(like making groups with submasters, or doing plugin processing to several tracks with a single plugin)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave