Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 12-11-2019, 08:33 AM

Default Duet driver (win) worse than no driver

With the Avid IO control and driver, there is insane latency and audio stutters causing the whole system to stutter when used as a regular workstation. On occasion there is even a whole system crash with the cause being something like "AvidDuet.sys"
Removing AVID drivers and IO control actually solves all these issues and gets rid of all latency. The Duet interface can now be used for any regular computer work without chaos. HOWEVER, now Duet cannot be used for actual DAW applications such as protools as protools refuses to recognize it while all other system applications do.

Please fix your windows drivers and remove the latency they cause, because your drivers are demonstrably the cause for whole-system-latency and computer crashes.
Also fix your customer support. I do not see an answer such as "please switch to apple" or "roll back to old versions of windows" as valid solutions, and maybe I'll consider buying and/or recommending Avid products in the future...

Last edited by Lightzy; 12-11-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Duet driver (win) worse than no driver

Not sure if this applies to your setup, but Windows users almost always need to set Windows to use anything OTHER than your PT interface as the "Default Playback Device"(because Windows tends to either mess up the interface audio settings or will take them over completely)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-20-2019, 12:45 PM

Default Avid erased my thread complaining about serious issues in duet drivers

If there is a compatibility problem with windows, then it's a driver issue, and therefor a driver should fix it.
The fact that it doesn't happen with the avid drivers uninstalled cements the notion that it's a driver issue.

From the pattern of the crackle/pop/tearing I *think* it has to do with how the PT IO Control Panel collides with windows drivers in terms of sample rate settings.

I don't want constant crackle/pop/tearing sounds when using regular windows applications, and I'm definitely not buying another pair of speakers or whatever to put on my limited desk space. This card should support regular windows use as does any other home-user card. It's a Duet, for regular home use, not a 64i/o studio setup.

But even if the sample rate settings are identical over everything you still get crackle/pop/tear, so I haven't a f'in clue.

Anyone else ever suffer from this?

Last edited by Lightzy; 12-20-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Thread was not erased, it was put in moderation queue due to Terms of Use violation.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:43 PM

Here is a video to demonstrate the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_kor8I2qhg

This happens constantly in all applications. It really sounds like the card is trying to switch sample rates or something. It also halts the whole system, it's not just an audio chug. The frame will also chug.

I tried every possible sample rate, always the same tearing and system chugs.

The weird thing is that you set the bitrate (16/24/32) from windows but the sample rate has to be set on the Duet control panel?
Perhaps there's some collision?

Last edited by Lightzy; 12-20-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:28 AM

Hi there!

I'm experiencing quite the same problems as you do.
Audio playback is stuttering and crackling and the whole system is lagging.

After deinstalling IO Panel it gets better, but at the expense of loosing direct microphone monitoring ability.

Running AVID duet on Win10/1903 seems to be a total nightmare.... what a shame that such a great peace of hardware comes which such a poorly coded driver/software package.

JayZee
Old 07-30-2020, 03:39 PM

Default WOW how BAD are the Win 10 Drivers?

Ive just got a Avid Duet 2 after having a Duet and sold it as i moved to PC

What a mistake ive made

Its awful, constantly slow playback inc clicking popping whenever i start a mp3, Youtube anything windows related im worried that my Adams will blow

It actually works ok in Ableton but i havent tested it fully

Why dont u do all Duet 2 users a favor and update Win 10 Drivers so they actually work or release a firmware update so we can use Apogee drivers because at the moment its just unusable

I really feel sorry for anyone that paid full price for this rubbish

If anyone has got it fully working on Win 10 please get in contact because when it works its great

Waiting on your replies

Thanks
Old 07-30-2020, 03:48 PM

Has anyone solved the problems with Win 10 as im having the same problems that have been mentioned on here

Id like a audio interface that i can fully use in Win 10 not just in Ableton ie play music, watch youtube etc without the clicks pops and buffering that im getting at the moment

Thxs