Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2000, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Mezzo/PT5?

Yes Eric,

You are right about PT's 5.0 and pre 3.6.2 versions of Mezzo. After reading your post, I spoke to Monica at Mezzo and she told me that if you only drag your 5.0 PT's session file into the pre 3.6.2 Mezzo software, it will not recognize the 5.0 file format and will be unable to restore it. That is scary stuff to say the least.

The good new is that if you save the entire PT's folder (session file, audio files, plugins settings, etc.) into the pre 3.6.2 version of Mezzo, it will restore completely (so she says).

Have not had a chance to check this out, but I will report the results ASAP.

That Mezzo did not warn their end users of this is hard to believe. It's no big deal...it's just a big chunk of our lives that we backup with their software.

PS...the timeline features in 5.0 are fantastic. The smarttool, the trim tool and the pencil tool have many more features that I use constantly. The multiple rulers come in very handy...having "nudge and grid separate is a dream... and that I can fly in my midi grid, markers,etc. from Logic, have made my life much easier.

[This message has been edited by Pat Thrall (edited April 05, 2000).]
Old 04-08-2000, 07:59 AM

We do all of our backups by archiving the entire folder that contains all of the ProTools elements. Since we switched to 5.0,I have backed up, trashed and restored probably thirty smallish sessions (radio and tv spots, mostly,-also some small demo sessions) as well as three album projects that were all over 12 gig. All without a problem. Sort of amazing to me that there was no comment from Mezzo about a problem that they knew about. Well, maybe not so surprising after all. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
Time to get the new Mezzo- I have heard that you have to get an e-mailed response to the challenge in order to use the new stuff- given the length of time it occassionally takes to get a response from tech there, that might be an issue.
Old 04-08-2000, 10:14 AM

As much as I hate this new policy (I have fought it with them, GMR, Sweetwater, Glyph and everybody I can short of Janet Reno, they did get the rsponse to us quick. Minutes after we installed the new version, we faxed the challenge to them and got it right back within minutes.

We have not yet sent our old software back. I really don't want to let go of it. This whole backup thing is getting to be a real problem in PT and other DAW worlds. As an old school industry person, I am a bit nervous about it.

I am now making a effort to switch over to Retrospect. Many in the industry have convinced me to do so. This last GMR, noted above, kind of caps it.

George Cumbee
Classic Recording, Franklin, TN www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 04-08-2000, 09:43 PM

Mezzo 3.6.6 is now on their site
for OS9 and G4 compatibility.
www.mezzogmr.com
Old 04-09-2000, 12:29 AM

Hey Eric and gang,

I have been restoring my 5.0 files in tact (thank the PT's gods). I am so glad that I save my sessions by their folders...I would think that most folks do.

Mezzo should still have a good spanking for not warning their customers of the potential danger of backing up just the PT's 5.0 session files to earlier 3.0 versions of their software.

PS. George- I have no idea why you would want to change over to Retrospect when you have built a library in Mezzo.

Knock on wood...but I have not had any major (or minor) losses with Mezzo (although I did get the s*** scared out of me with this latest 5.0 issue)..but having said all that- Mezzo is still doing everything I require of it.

Just my 00.02

[This message has been edited by Pat Thrall (edited April 09, 2000).]