Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 04-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Avid

Default MIDI Patch Names - From MIDI Forum

For information on using MIDI Patch Name files in Pro Tools, please read this document first:

Mac OS X Patch Names & MIDI Device Definitions

There are 2 things that you will need to get a MIDI patch names file to work properly in Pro Tools - the patch name file itself (.midnam) and a MIDI Device file that includes information on the device itself (.middev).

Once you have the MIDI patch name file, place it somewhere in the following folder:

MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names>

You can place it in the proper manufacturers folder inside the Digidesign folder located there or you can create a new folder - it won't matter which as long as it's in the MIDI Patch names folder it should work properly.

Next, you will need to edit a MIDI Devices file to include information on the device itself. The easiest way is to copy and paste the data for a similar device within the current MIDI Devices file. This file is located at:

MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Devices>Digidesign Device List.middev

You can edit any .middev file located in this folder - you do not have to use the Digidesign file.

If you open the .middev file with TextEdit, you will see a list of MIDI devices. Simply copy and paste the definition for one device, then edit the name of the copied section so that it reflects the EXACT name of your MIDI patch name file.

Here is an example:

<MIDIDeviceType Manufacturer="Access"

Model="Virus"

CanRoute="false"

SupportsMMC="false"

Image="OMS1039">

<DeviceID Min="1" Max="16" Default="1" Base="1" />

<Receives MaxChannels="16"

MTC="false"

Clock="false" />

<Transmits MaxChannels="0"

MTC="false"

Clock="true" />

</MIDIDeviceType>

<!-- ADA -->

<MIDIDeviceType Manufacturer="ADA"

Model="MP-1"

CanRoute="false"

SupportsMMC="false"

Image="OMS1026">

<DeviceID Min="1" Max="16" Default="1" Base="1" />

<Receives MaxChannels="1"

MTC="false"

Clock="false" />

</MIDIDeviceType>

The above section is from the Digidesign Device List.middev file and shows 2 devices - the Access Virus and the ADA MP-1. Each device is enclosed by the definition tags <MIDIDeviceType> and </MIDIDeviceType> (notice the forward slash in the second, closing tag.

You must copy and paste the text between and including those tags, then change the Manufacturer and Model to reflect the manufacturer and model of the midi device .midnam file you want to use. The manufacturer and model must be EXACTLY the same as what's used in the .midnam file. By copying and pasting the definition for a device that is similar to the device you're using - for instance, using the Roland JV-1080 definition for a JV-2080 - you will assure that at least most of the parameters will be set correctly in the definition.

Once you've copied, pasted and altered the mfr/model, save the .middev document. You should now be able to use the patch name file properly in Pro Tools.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Using 3rd party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro Tools

I have read everything Digidesign has to say on MIDI patchnames. . .

Ok, but what if no similar .midname is available for the DR 770 in my current library. I don't see a .midnam for say. . . the DR 660 that shipped with 6.4.1. As a mater of fact there are a surprisingly few number of .midnams that come with PT! The only patchname for a Boss product is the GX-700. Can I build a successful file from that or any other .midnam just by changing the manufacturer and model name? I have looked at lots of these in text edit and they all have very specific parameters that pertain to banks and not to mention the different patchnames. What a task! This seems like something that can be supported easily with the right download. We are just talking about text files here.

I'm even pulling out my 5.x disks looking through old OMS files for a DR 660.txt file I use to see. No use there, have to do an OMS install on 9.xNo way. I might have to fire up my 9600 and troll through the system/OMS/Factory Names.

Can anyone help here. I am going nuts setting patches every time I open a session. Heaven forbid I don't write the 770 patch name down before closing a session. Without that patch name (none) it will play a MIDI track with what ever kit was last used on the last pattern. I am going to pull out my hair!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Collect .midnams for user download?

We need this resource badly. I have Worked out the text for The PC 88mx and the JV 1010 .midnam and could share. Can we collect these .midnam files for each other and find someone to host them on an FTP server or something? There should be thousands of us with patchnames called "none" on our MIDI tracks! Wouldn't it be nice to have that same voice every time you launch a session? Where are you all?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Avid

Default Re: Collect .midnams for user download?

You might want to check out this site:

Digicake
Old 05-20-2005, 09:33 PM

That guy at Digicake rocks and I now have a .midnam file for my Boss DR-770 but when I try to implement it I get this message: "An unknown error occured whiile attempting to parse this instruments's patch name document." Thanks for the info so far. Any ideas on this unknown error? It looks fine in text edit.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:47 AM

try to open your midnam with the Prog "CherryPicker2.2" and save the file as a protools midnam file..there are 3 options....
and check the first sentence in your file..must be like this "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>.i can remember that i have the same message like you..but UTF-8 fix that...hope that helps ,take Care
Old 05-23-2005, 10:07 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes! Cherry Picker 2.2 will do it. I had the earler version and Pro Tools friendly was not an option. What a half baked system of sort-of sandards! Why is all this .midnam borrowed from DP4 and MOTU? Oh Well. Thanks so much for the Help. I have learned a lot! Let's call for some standards though! MIDI needs something like what they do at the Motion Pictures Experts Group. I guess MIDI is no longer cutting edge though, just an after thought. But Thank You all. Drum Machine Patch Names here I come!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Avid

The .midnam and .middev files were not created by MOTU, nor borrowed from them. The XML specs are part of a general 'interop' development movement that includes other programming languages like Java, HTML, XHTML and SGML. The language itself is still developing, which is why you can see slightly different 'standards' being used and why there can be compatibility issues. As with anything in it's infancy, some parts are still trial and error.

You can find more info on XML here:

Extensible Markup Language (XML) at the Society for Scholarly Publishing
Old 06-24-2005, 09:13 AM

Friends,
I've had good success with the MIDI patch name files I BOUGHT from http://skylightrecording.com/patches/.
It's listed as an alternate resource at the bottom of the Digicake page. Just go there, pay the 20-odd dollars,
and be done with it.
I'm trying to figure out why DigiTech doesn't just hire this guy . . .
Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 PM

I totally agree. I could easily just create my own file but there is more needed than just a name and patch number. PT could use an interface to help create these files. One where we could give the patch name and number and it does the rest.