Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 AM

Default Using Pro Tools Midi Editor for BFD2 drum mapping

Hey mates

Ok, here's the deal... I'm very familiar with the Pro Tools Midi editor. I've been using it for making my own beats with EZdrummer for quite some time now. Just purchased the BFD2, and it looks really promising, but the only problem I have, is that it has its own Midi Editor (or Grooves page) and I really don't like it...

So the question is: Is there a way to assign the drum kit to the Pro Tools Midi Editor?

Thanks in advance
- Anda
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Using Pro Tools Midi Editor for BFD2 drum mapping

Ummm... yes, absolutely.

When you insert BFD2 onto a Pro Tools Instrument track, it's internal key assignments are available on the Pro Tools track which automatically translates to the Pro Tools MIDI editor.
The key assignments are viewable (and editable) on the BFD2 MIDI view. Most of the default assignments follow a standard GM layout: C1 = kick, C#1 = Snare Sidestick, D1 = Snare hit, D#1 = snare drag, etc. (with some exceptions of course; check the BFD2 MIDI view for details on the preset/kit you have loaded).

If the setting you have loaded has default grooves, they should also be available from the keymap in the higher registers.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 AM

Hey thanks for the reply, and yes you are right... The problem is not solved tho'. It seems I'm missing the Key Map presets in BFD2 when I'm in PT. When BFD2 is in the standalone mode, I can load different key maps...

I've tried manually loading the key maps into BFD, but I can't?? Maybe I'm not loading the right maps???

Any suggestions?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM

And yes... I've tried updating to 2.1.0.42 (or something like that), it didn't work. Every time I opened BDF2 in PT it crashed...
Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 AM

Also, something I have found VERY helpful while working with BFD for myself...

You can load up the BFD "grooves" folder, which contains the MIDI patterns that come with BFD.

Once loaded, you can physically drag the MIDI file from the folder directly into the MIDI track you have assigned to BFD. This makes it easy to take beats you like and tweak them to exactly what you need.

I'm on PT 7.4 with the original BFD, but I would imagine this still works.