Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 07-14-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Clarett 8 Pre Issues

I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.

I submitted a trouble ticket to Focusrite a couple of days ago and have not heard back. I’m literally dead in the water until I can get this resolved.

Any source or instrument into the Clarett 8 Pre can be heard in the monitors and headphones out side of Pro Tools. When Pro Tools is running I can still hear the input source through the monitors and headphones - when I record arm the track I can hear the source twice, the original source and a slightly delayed duplicate. Nothing I have tried in FC seems to resolve this.

Here’s my setup:

Pro Tools 2019.6
Focusrite Control 3.2.1
Avid Artist Mix
Avid Dock
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
Focusrite OctpPre Mk II Dynamic
ART HeadAmp 6 Pro
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2015)
2.8 gHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
macOS Mojave, 10.14.5

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Clarett 8 Pre Issues

You have hardware monitoring enabled in the Clarrett 8. You need to read the appropriate Focusrite manual. What one are you using now?

Work out if your interface uses the old MixControl or the newer Focusrite Control. For a USB Pre I think it may be Mix Control. I would hope that info would be clear with whatever Focusrite supplied with your interface.

MixControl https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...Creating-Mixes

User Control https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net...user-guide.pdf

Nothing related to Pro Tools here.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You have hardware monitoring enabled in the Clarrett 8. You need to read the appropriate Focusrite manual. What one are you using now?

Work out if your interface uses the old MixControl or the newer Focusrite Control. For a USB Pre I think it may be Mix Control. I would hope that info would be clear with whatever Focusrite supplied with your interface.

MixControl https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...Creating-Mixes

User Control https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net...user-guide.pdf

Nothing related to Pro Tools here.
Thanks for the response Darryl! The 8 Pre is Thunderbolt and I'm using the Focusrite Control User Guide. And, I can't find anything in the manual about enabling or disabling hardware monitoring.

Last edited by gscaife; 07-14-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Change
Old 07-14-2019, 05:44 PM

Focusrite Control is *hardware monitoring* get rid of those signal paths, turn off whatever it is doing if you only want to monitor though Pro Tools.

Or even better with no Pro Tools running you should play with Focusrite Control until you understand how it works.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Focusrite Control is *hardware monitoring* get rid of those signal paths, turn off whatever it is doing if you only want to monitor though Pro Tools.

Or even better with no Pro Tools running you should play with Focusrite Control until you understand how it works.
I've been using Pro Tools for years, my 003 died, and just got this Clarett 8 Pre, Artis Mix and Dock, and can't seem to wrap my brain around the FC as "middleware". But, thanks for the quick response. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Last edited by gscaife; 07-14-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2019, 05:46 AM

It can take just a bit to get your head wrapped around it since it is kind of a "go between" for Pro Tools (or any DAW) so that you can monitor direct OR DAW monitor.

The manuals for the 8 Pre and Focusrite Control do a decent job explaining, but sometimes more is desired.

Look at the link for tutorials from Focusrite below. Hope that helps ya.

I love my Clarett 8Pre X.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...usrite-Control

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2023.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2023.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 07-15-2019, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the input Cowboy Bob!

I Found that if I turn OFF low latency monitoring in Pro Tools I can now here what's being sent to the track when I arm it for recording. I have the hardware inputs muted in FC.

So far so good. Except there are some latency problems now. Trying to work through that.

H/W Buffer size = 128 Samples

Any additional input will be much appreciated!

Last edited by gscaife; 07-15-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo repair
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 PM

Turning off low-latency monitoring turn on Pro Tools software monitoring, that is all that does. So yes then naturally you can hear stuff via Pro Tools.

latency... you either run at a lower IO buffer or you use actually use hardware monitoring.