Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-23-2018, 09:57 AM

Default Upgrade OS???

I'm running PT 10.3.1 & OSX 10.8.5 on my mid 2012 MacBook Pro 4GB Ram & my Interface is a PreSonus 16.4.2..

What are the most current updates I can do with my PT10, OS & Interface? Without running into too many problems?

Thanks,

L
Old 12-24-2018, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Upgrade OS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
I'm running PT 10.3.1 & OSX 10.8.5 on my mid 2012 MacBook Pro 4GB Ram & my Interface is a PreSonus 16.4.2..

What are the most current updates I can do with my PT10, OS & Interface? Without running into too many problems?

Thanks,

L
So are you staying with PT10 after all that we went through with you on your thread about an iMac for PT2019?

Why not take a look at the compatibility chart at this web page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
As to what combos will work with your interface you're going to have to dig up that info for yourself on the Presonus site. There are some things you're going to have to learn to do for yourself. We're not going to spoon-feed you info you could dig for yourself.

All that being said there are people who have used PT10 with OSX 10.9.5 but the problem is the PT uninstaller doesn't work; there are steps on Avid's site for how to work around that. It looks like from your description that you're running the last update to PT10 so there's no change there.

And for the sanity of you & everyone here PLEASE implement a clone backup of your system drive before doing anything with your system.

QAPLA!
Old 12-24-2018, 08:48 AM

I'm thinking it might be good to keep PT10 on my MBP while transitioning to PT2018 on the new Computer I decide to get.

Plus, In the future even use the MBP for Mobile Recording too. Opening new Opportunities for my little Studio. Then take the Mobile Projects & bounce to PT2018 on my new Computer for Mixing etc.

Then, at the point I've got PT2018 up & running smoothly on my new Computer transition the MBP to PT2018 also...

Also, I'm hoping I can continue my current workflow of Projects on my MBP uninterrupted while I'm transitioning to another new Computer, PT2018 & all the other things I need to do get the Interface & Plugins etc. all working smoothly & without issues.

I don't get why so many of the questions people ask, or is it just me, perceived so negatively on PTFORUM? Almost to the point of them being a waste of time to be answered? I don't have ulterior motives. I just want the best information to help me make the most beneficial & intelligent decisions for my needs.

Thanks,

L
Old 12-24-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking it might be good to keep PT10 on my MBP while transitioning to PT2018 on the new Computer I decide to get.

Plus, In the future even use the MBP for Mobile Recording too. Opening new Opportunities for my little Studio. Then take the Mobile Projects & bounce to PT2018 on my new Computer for Mixing etc.

Then, at the point I've got PT2018 up & running smoothly on my new Computer transition the MBP to PT2018 also...

Also, I'm hoping I can continue my current workflow of Projects on my MBP uninterrupted while I'm transitioning to another new Computer, PT2018 & all the other things I need to do get the Interface & Plugins etc. all working smoothly & without issues.

I don't get why so many of the questions people ask, or is it just me, perceived so negatively on PTFORUM? Almost to the point of them being a waste of time to be answered? I don't have ulterior motives. I just want the best information to help me make the most beneficial & intelligent decisions for my needs.

Thanks,

L
The reason for your perception is a number of people don't listen to what's been written or even bother to use the search function. Or even Google to search. They want everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. We don't mind helping people as long as they take what we write seriously and not be dense. When that happens that's when a lot of us get a weed up our keisters.

QAPLA!
Old 12-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The reason for your perception is a number of people don't listen to what's been written or even bother to use the search function. Or even Google to search. They want everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. We don't mind helping people as long as they take what we write seriously and not be dense. When that happens that's when a lot of us get a weed up our keisters.
If you don't think I used the Search feature or get information from multiple other Sources you haven't read any of my Posts. It's attitudes from some of you here who actually resent us getting information elsewhere, more than anything, that seems to get your Panties in a wad!

As I've said before, I usually exhaust many other Sources before coming here trying to resolve my PT & Computer Recording related questions as in my experience this isn't the friendliest Game in Town...

I'm not looking for arguments or criticism. Just answers. That's all..

I really don't like you calling me dense. Would you like to call you what I think you are?

If you don't want respond to my Posts, don't..

PS If one can afford a Silver Platter why shouldn't they have it? I respect those who've worked to achieve that Silver Platter.. Talk about perception... Why are so many today so hateful & envious just because someone worked & earned what it takes to have something better than them? I admire success not failure....
Old 04-29-2019, 10:53 AM

Default Using multiple versions of ProTools??

Ok, I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro with OSX 10.8.5 running PT10.

CPU - 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Memory - 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Disk - Macintosh HD

Graphics - NVIDIA GE Force GT 650M 512MB

MacBookPro Mid 2012

OSX 10.8.5

Ser. # CO2HKHRRDV33

I have another Thread on the Forum re; upgrading to PT2018..

I wanted to keep my PT10 get a new Computer & run PT2018 using my PreSonus 16.4.2 Interface.

It was suggested I upgrade my RAM to 16 Gig & I could possible do split Partitions & run both....

I've been Ping Ponged back & forth between 1. Apple, 2. PreSonus & 3. PT Tech Support ( I'll refer to them as 1,2,&3) & am running into several Issues...

First I did a System Back up to an External Hard Drive. Then upgraded to High Sierra only to find out PT10 won't run on that OS.

I called 1,2,&3 & it's sounding like I can't run 2 partitions on my MBP with 2 different OS's & both versions of PT.. Also PreSonus may not work with both. Either on one Computer with split Partitiions running both Platforms or with 2 seaprate Computers each running seaparate Platforms.

I want to keep my lifetime version of PT10 on my MBP but would also like PT2108. It looks like I have to get a separate Computer to do that... Further it's looking like I have to get a separate Interface too...

I've been accused of making things really complicated... Can anyone offer a possible simpler suggestion how to accomplish my goal?

Thanks,

L
Old 04-29-2019, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Using multiple versions of ProTools??

Quote:
I called 1,2,&3 & it's sounding like I can't run 2 partitions on my MBP with 2 different OS's & both versions of PT.. Also PreSonus may not work with both. Either on one Computer with split Partitiions running both Platforms or with 2 seaprate Computers each running seaparate Platforms.
Can’t do this? Said by who? Why *exactly*?

Why are you starting a new thread for this?

People here are unlikely to go through all the pain of trying to reverse engineer what you are saying.

Any Mac can have multiple boot partitions

They can run any OS X/macOS releases supported on that hardware

You can run any version of Pro Tools on those partitions that would otherwise run on that partition OS. And differentiate here between what is officially supported and what may work.

You can run any interface that has a driver compatible with the OS on that partition.

So... instead of throwing out generalities like the stuff quoted above you should get organized, write down tables of exact OS releases, Pro Tools and driver versions you could use and see if you can find compatible sets of software. If you then have a specific problem/question then maybe folks could help you. If you have already done that share it here.

If this stuff is too hard to work out, that may be a sign that it is not a good idea for you to pursue. Is there a critically compelling need to keep Pro Tools 10?

Likewise on memory... you need to get clear on this. Your MBP May support 8GB or 16GB RAM. I would not want less than 16 GB in a new Mac, wether 8GB might work for you, we cannot guess, we have no idea what you do. You are dead in the water here for Pro Tools 2018 if you cannot get enough memory. Can you?

And posting your device serial number on a public forum... bad security practice. You should delete that. What would have helped is a model or EMC number or you just making it easier for folks by telling us if this is a 13” or 15” model.... and what internal disk it has (you want to partition that.., is there space? Or does the drive need to be upgraded?))

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-29-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:05 PM

If it's possible to move this to the other Thread That would be fine..

My PT10 is fairly comfortable for me to use, doesn't have any issues, as a rule, I can use it on my MBP for Mobile Recording as is & I don't have to pay a fee to renew it every year.

Apple said that I probably can't do split Partitions on my MBP & use 2 different OS's to run PT10 & PT2018 on each..

PreSonus said, the Universal Upgrade is questionable with High Sierra & I could have Issues.

PT defers questions that don't relate to PT...

You're probably right. I have a comfortable format & maybe I should leave well enough alone... I thought PT2018 might offer features for better sounding Recordings & new upgraded useful Plugins.. Also I could have an OS that is compatible with WAVES & other things I may wish to do via the Computer.. With the old OS I have I can't even go to Sweetwater for Tech Support...

To whom it may concern, Feel free to move this to the other Thread..

Thanks
Old 04-29-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Apple said that I probably can't do split Partitions on my MBP & use 2 different OS's to run PT10 & PT2018 on each..
On the surface that Apple statement makes no sense, you should have asked them exactly why. Were they assuming you wanted to upgrade to Mojave and thought your MBP was too old? The disk was too small to repartition? I doubt any random Apple support person knows anything about Pro Tools. You are likely wasting your time contacting all these support organizations, if you want to do this you need to get heads down and sort this out for yourself by creating your own "compatibility table".

StudioLive users seems to be running on HighSierra, and I think it's an officially supported config, so again, you should have ask for and got details of any possible issues clearly sorted understood.

I'm not sure why you mention "Universal *Update*". There may be some complex issue there that I'm missing (like device firmware updates?) but to be clear you should not be doing any upgrades to just get to a dual boot system. You have a working OS, back everything up. Shrink that current partition on the drive. Create an additional partition (assuming that drive is large enough), install High Sierra or Mojave onto that, do full clean install of Pro Tools 2018/2019, ILM, plugins etc. onto that partition. Even better test this by installing that whole new setup on an external SSD and then clone it back to a new internal partition after testing it works OK.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-29-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:32 AM

Here we go again - yet another thread where Lars computer upgrade issues and doesn't pay attention to what he's been told. First off is compatibility between operating systems and PT. For the umpteenth time here's the link to the compatibility page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

And yet again incomplete info on your computer system. Why not just put it all on your profile page? You leave out things like what exact model you have. Or system drive type and size. Those are important. Basically there are three mid 2012 MBP's and they all can take a max of 16 gig ram.

Darryl has given you the basic steps to make extra partitions on your system and that is accomplished through OSX disk utility. You could probably get away with a partition size of 128 gig but you'd be better off with at least 256 gig. On my old iMac I had three boot partitions: OSX 10.8.5 at 512 gig, OSX 10.9.5 at 512 gig and OSX 10.10.5 at 1 TB (it was a 2 TB drive). Of course if your system drive is one of the 5400 rpm spinners you're just spitting into the wind and will have to swap that out for something better like an ssd. You'll not only get better performance with the ssd but your battery life will be better and the computer won't get as hot as with a spinner.

You've been given advice here by some of the best at what they do and you continually ignore it and make trouble for yourself.

QAPLA!