Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Slate Digital has gone subscription

I find the parallel lift eq to be subtle. But expected it to be subtle, like clariphonic, by its very nature as a parallel eq. Custom eq has sound. Nice! Wonder what the mid q's are.

Slate n UA need to start embracing digital a little more. Plugins need to have m/s and other modern plugin conveniences ala Fabfilter.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:49 PM

Werner - thanks for the info. I'm like you too. I like owning the perpetual license and the rent stuff just doesn't fly. Staying with my extremely stable PT11 and keeping both MBPr's just like they are - no more updates and two extra clones - until they die. Tired of chasing updates!
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
They are labeled differently in the iLok License Manager. I own the Mix Rack bundle which is still in place (VMR Bundle) as well as VCC and VTM but additional authorizations are included in the new Mix/Master bundle so there are redundant licenses for the mix rack modules, VTM etc. within the new bundles. Because I own a few of these I get 4 months of everything for free so I can check out VBC and FGX as well as the new EQ modules and the Lx480 (which is stereo only btw, no mono instance and has it's own subscription license). The new licenses are marked as subscription with end dates listed where my perpetual licenses have no end date. The only caveat is that you need a Gobbler account and client to install. Yet another hoop to jump through.
Can I join Gobbler to do the download and then eliminate the Gobble account?
I really don't like being forced to use another vendor when I don't want to.

What is really odd is I have the Activations for the free trials on my iLok but I can't see where to download anything. Not in my SSD Account. They all on Gobbler?

What the hell is Gobbler anyway? Like a Drop Box?
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]Intel Haswell-E Processors 3.3GHz Core i7-5820K 6-Core; Memory - DDR4: 16GB DDR4-2400 Quad Channel (4 x 4GB); Primary Drive (OS): 240GB SSD SATA3; Secondary Drive (Audio): 2TB 7200 rpm SATA2; Graphic Card: 1GB (HD5450) Dual Display Graphics Card; Optical Drive: 22x CD/DVD Dual Layer Burner; Windows 10 64-bit; PT 12.5; Studio One Pro 3.2; Cubase Pro 8.5; REAPER; MixBus 3
Old 08-12-2015, 01:21 PM

Isn't Gobbler the sharing service Avid used and dumped?

QAPLA!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Isn't Gobbler the sharing service Avid used and dumped?
For me its the buggiest software and website I've ever seen. I wasted an hour of my life trying to make it work with no luck.

FWIW I'm no noobie to computing, I've been around for a long time.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:12 AM

don't really like or trust gobbler at this point. seems both slate and exponential are both going with it for subs.

as for slate... don't really like the fact that if you OWN plugins there is no cut rate on subscriptions. yes you get a few months free because you own plugs... but after the 'free' period is over... you pay just as much each month as those that do not have ANY plugs.

why re-rent what you already own? truly a waste of money for most people that have and been using slate plugins.

again it is great for some... but for most... it is a waste of time and money. cheers

KNOT HARDLY PRODUCTIONS LLP*
Knot Hardly Esquire
Farcebook Twatter

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Window$10 FX4300 MSI970A-G46 16Gb AMD7870
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

*a Limited Liability Persona
Old 08-13-2015, 11:23 AM

The involvement of Gobbler is what has put me off from demoing the new plugs. People's DAWs are sacred, especially if they're running Pro Tools; you never know when installing a new service could screw everything up...

As far as the subscription not being worth it for people who own all Slate plugins, I own all of them, and I intend on going full subscription as long as the $99/2x$99 vouchers are involved. I hate the idea of a subscription as much as the next guy, but the vouchers make it workable for me. Just my view...
Old 08-13-2015, 11:48 AM

And after a certain amount of time you will have paid for the plugins that you already own yet another time. How does that make sense to anyone who owns the plugins already?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
And after a certain amount of time you will have paid for the plugins that you already own yet another time. How does that make sense to anyone who owns the plugins already?
It doesn't. I just bought the new plugins and kept it movin'.

But, if I didn't have any Slate plugins the subscription option is dirt cheap and tax deductible. I spend more than $20 a day on ice coffees and lunch.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I think the idea is that you get a voucher by the end that is equal to (or greater) than what you paid for the subscription, so you can purchase perpetual licenses for Slate products that you may not yet own - assuming new Slate products are released.