Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:11 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::F-L-E-X:: View Post
I think it's fair to say most beta-testers (existing PT11 users) would have appreciated a discounted upgrade/support plan - which was implied by the "Coming soon..." pricing options for those already on 11.

Having said that, it comes as no great surprise given Avid's recent approach...
Has Avid by any chance partnered with Slate? I ask that because it seems Avid has taken to using Steven Slate's phrase 'coming soon' unfortunately. To tell the truth I don't think us early adopters of PT11 will know the real deal until the next feature release comes out. If it's more of this 'Avid Everywhere' stuff and not things that we can really use then the credit card stays in the wallet.

Options I'd like to see would be to be able to trade whatever is the true cost of the support plan for buying (not renting) feature upgrades of PT. Like this: trade support plan cost for VCA's in PT vanilla. With something like this being optional those who need it could have their support plan and those that don't would have a feature or features they need and could still get support via the existing/old ASC deal.

And that brings up something I'm not sure if it's been answered or not. Is the current buy an ASC system for support going away with this new subscription support deal?

QAPLA!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Is the current buy an ASC system for support going away with this new subscription support deal?
Doesn't look like it :

Avid Support Code (ASC) : $40/case extra. Provides additional per-incident phone support for one troubleshooting case.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-...ware/licensing

ie. If your 1st (AUP) support call (in any one month) does not resolve an issue, you gotta pay extra for an ASC to get your issue resolved!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:12 AM

If Avid is going to charge $599/year for HDX and it comes with unlimited phone support that we don't need. I might find an intern calling them every 10 minutes of every day.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
If Avid is going to charge $599/year for HDX and it comes with unlimited phone support that we don't need. I might find an intern calling them every 10 minutes of every day.

Yeah. Im going to open a protools school and just sit kids on the phone with avid staring at a hdx rig.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM

I'm still confused about this support plan, after upgrading before 31/12/14 I found my downloads but still no proof or mention about this support plan in the Avid account. The promo campaign appeared like it was going to be a giant leap for PT users but once the credit-card was billed there was nothing... (apart from a download of course)
Old 01-12-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish View Post
I'm still confused about this support plan, after upgrading before 31/12/14 I found my downloads but still no proof or mention about this support plan in the Avid account. The promo campaign appeared like it was going to be a giant leap for PT users but once the credit-card was billed there was nothing... (apart from a download of course)

Because thats all it ever was going to be. They probably came up with this plan 3 months ago to shake the money before the quarter was up. If the stock price is up they did their job. Thats all that matters, by law.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
Yeah. Im going to open a protools school and just sit kids on the phone with avid staring at a hdx rig.
Best post yet
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 01-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I didn't think this was the case, all supposed 11.X updates will be free for existing owners of the 11 asset.

Supposedly b/c we haven't seen what else they will do, and they are dropping the version numbers from the releases, so no more 11.4, 11.5, 12.1 ect....
Could be wrong, but I believe the only "free" stuff will be 11.n.X releases...11.X sometimes included updates and stuff beyond just bug fixes.

Have you seen anything definite regarding "dropping the version numbers from the releases"? I was the one who first suggested Avid might move to "versionless" software, but I hadn't yet seen anything definite regarding that...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
I thought it was ONE call per month and unlimited online support so calling everyday won't be a possibility according to this FAQ:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.7 KB, 0 views)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-12-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Could be wrong, but I believe the only "free" stuff will be 11.n.X releases...11.X sometimes included updates and stuff beyond just bug fixes.

Wow so 11.3 MIGHT be the last major minor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Have you seen anything definite regarding "dropping the version numbers from the releases..

I saw a splash screen with just the ProTools software name where the version should have been.

The version was still there of course in the bottom right-hand screen but small font
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Closed Thread