Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM

Default Pro Tools Scrolling Cursor isn't smooth

Hi,

I recently installed Pro Tools 8 M-Powered on my Mac Pro and when ever I play or record something the cursor jumps/ stutters across the screen instead of running smoothly. By cursor I DON'T mean my mouse, I mean the pro tools cursor that slides across the window.

I also have the same version on my MacBook Pro yet I don't have this problem.

Can anyone help me as it's really irritating. I wouldn't have thought this was a problem but just incase, I am using a 40" LG HD TV at the moment as I don't have another screen available. I've tried all the different resolution settings but nothing changes. My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.

I haven't noticed any problems with any other software yet. If anyone has any idea why it's doing this and how to fix it I would really appreciate their advice.

Thank You
Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Scrolling Cursor isn't smooth

check out your buffer settings and set them higher if necessary (that may be one issue).

Another thing would be to check to see if "Dynamic Transport" is checked. Uncheck that if it is. I know I was having an issue similar to yours and that fixed it.

Good luck!
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Alesis AI-3
M-Audio Profire Lightbridge
Rock and Roll
Old 12-09-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Scrolling Cursor isn't smooth

I've been having the same problem myself - I'm a seasoned enough Pro Tools user to know to adjust my buffer settings whenever something is operating slower than normal, and dynamic transport is definitely not on.

I just purchased a 6-core 3.33 GHz Mac Pro about two weeks ago and I'm running Pro Tools 9 and having the same issue - for instance:

Say I were to click and drag the cursor from the back to the front of a session to highlight all of the audio for, say, a consolidation - right when I slide my mouse to the left everything slows to a crawl and Pro Tools gets all jerky as it seemingly struggles to highlight from the back to front of a session. I also have a 2.4 GHz 13" MacBook Pro that performs this task without a hitch.

For whatever reason it seems as though in most cases the MacBook Pro performs weird little tasks like that far smoother than my brand new Mac Pro. I've been able to replicate this on a friend's Mac Pro as well, and now it seems as though the OP is having the same issue.

Does anyone have an idea of what this may be? I'm sure the two of us are not the only ones.