Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2021, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation and HW Buffer issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.d View Post
I don't have any experience with that, i'm afraid. The only and easiest thing i would try is to check with another non TB interface if you have access.
And the easy other interface you have to test with is Built In Output. That will let you very quickly test if the Apogee hardware or driver is causing this problem.

If that still gives problems then I would focus next on plugin troubleshooting. But if built in output works then...

Thunderbolt trends to be remarkably reliable. If Built in output works at small IO buffers I would test the Apogee interface again with a new Thunderbolt cable (e.g. an Apple branded Thunderbolt logo cable... not a USB-C power cable or any non-logo qualified cable... I have seen damaged Thunderbolt cables cause issues with Thunderbolt displays but not so far interfaces... remember all but the shortest thunderbolt cables are active devices with driver chips inside each end so maybe more fragile than dumb cables.

Double check drivers are up to date.

Like with USB troubleshooting I would try removing as many other Thunderbolt peripherals as possible and try the interface by itself on its own Thunderbolt bus. More than that and Apogee support are likely going to help you.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation and HW Buffer issues

A friend of mine with a production studio down in New Orleans had this issue, and his problem was exactly the same.

The interesting thing is that his interface is Thunderbolt, and the problem was happening when running his 6,1 MacPro (trashcan) - the delayed placement of audio files on the timeline was directly related to the size of the buffer setting - but audio was always placed late.

If he unplugged his Thunderbolt interface and plugged it into his MacBook Pro, it worked exactly as intended (audio placed exactly on the timeline).

I don't remember if he had checked the setting in Playback Engine with regard to "Ignore Errors...", so that may have illuminated the issue somewhat.

He completely wiped, repartitioned, reinstalled MacOS, reinstalled ProTools, and the problem persisted (and went away when connected to the laptop).

Just thought I'd mention this, as it had us both stumped!!