Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Default How to set up a video reference screen?

In my limited experience doing sound design, I've always used a simple video window within the sequencer as the video reference. But I'd like to get that video off my computer screens and up on a large projection system. I also want to have the video display in another room, where the foley artists and ADR talent are set up. What's the best method of getting the video from a ProTools session out of the computer, split to two projectors, and displayed on the projection screens?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Re: How to set up a video reference screen?

I'm using PT 7.1 HD|4 Accel with an Avid MOJO. I'm using the MOJO to go to a large LCD Sony Bravia screen on the wall with no problems. The MOJO is connected via FW400 and I can use it also for capture.

Regards,
Bruce
Issaquah, WA 98027
Old 02-17-2006, 03:55 PM

an inexpensive, professional way would be to get a FUSE-X card and a video distibution amplifier. the FUSE-X plays just about any codec -- and the rate depends on your system and set up, gat a separate drive fro video -- and is less than $500. a dist amp (DA) can vary, put el cheapo ones are available at radio shack...or, better ones from video places.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-17-2006, 09:40 PM

I like the idea of the MOJO, but let me ask you how I would integrate it into my system.

I'll be running PT|HD with a 5.1 monitor rig. I'll be dropping the quicktime file into PT, and then what? How do best get out of my computer and up on the screens? I also suppose I would need to split the signal to send it to two projectors/TV's?

For what it's worth, I have a Canopus ADVC110. Could I send the video throught that? How does the video get routed out of the video track in PT? Or am I making this too difficult?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:11 AM

Hi spicyitaliano,

a very simple way to do is, get a NVidia 6600 and the Apple DVI to S-Video adaptor. So you don´t have to change your workflow.
You can use your QT movies or if you have an older MAC use a DC 30 card.

Just my 2 cents

Jochen
Old 02-18-2006, 03:27 AM

Hi spicy,

if you use the mojobox, you only can use avid videofiles. With Mediastation software you can convert your QT files to Avid files.
But that takes time, if the files are long. If you use your canopus, you have to deal with video delays and the canopus don´t has a ref. video input. The question is, do you want to record video or not. If you want to record video there are two options.

1 with QT codec -> fuse X card or dc 30 etc.
2. Avid codec -> mojo

If you have your composite video signal, the safest way is, get a video distributer or switcher or router.
You also can use the video in of a tv and there you also have some outputs to pick up the signal for the next screen.

Hope that helps

regards

Jochen
Old 02-18-2006, 09:49 AM

Alrght, lots of suggestions guys - thank you, now I've just got to piece it all together -

I'm NOT recording any video. With the film company I work with they prepare a quicktime file of the final edit and distribute it to all the the music department and myself. This seems to be the most efficient way to get video to everybody.

With the Mojo being clunky for my workflow I'd rather not use it. But would the Canopus be of any use to me?

Now I've got a Mac G5 and a video card with dual outputs, one if is the DVI conector, one is the Apple connector. I want two screens dedicated to ProTools, and one dedicated to video. Is this possible with my current setup or do I need to buy a video card?

Thanks for the patience - I'll get it soon!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:40 AM

if you want two screens for ProTools you will need to add a video card- Unfortunately since the G5 is the end of the line for PCI/PCI-X when upgrade the computer next time your cards will all need to be replaced.

The Fuse-X would be my recommendation.

charles maynes

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:55 AM

Hey Spicy!
I've got the best of both worlds. I use my MOJO when working from Beta directly into PT.
And I use a Conopus for when clients give me QT DV's.
I have them connected to a 1:2 Powered video DA. Don't buy a normal unpowered splitter bad move!
One is connected to a 32" LCD in my control room the other to a 17' LCD in my dubbing room.
The system works great for me. I know there are a lot of Canopus haters ou there!

Both the Canopus and the MOJO are connected through firewire which leaves me room to connect my Apple Video card to two LCD computer monitors.

Best,
Mitch

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi