Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2017, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Alternatives to Pro Tools - Pro and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What is Fairlight? The only thing I know of with that word is the late Fairlight CMI which was one of the first computer based synths; roughly the same time as the original Synclavier board.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...olve/fairlight

Wave-T.com
Old 06-12-2017, 03:50 AM

DaVinci-Resolve will incorporate 3D sound and the DTS 'Multi-Dimensional Audio' system, which is being hailed as superior to Dolby's Atmos. There will also be a relatively cheap audio render card to go with it, which they claim will give you "sub-millisecond latency on all 1,000 tracks along with full real time processing of EQ, expander/gate, compressor and limiter dynamics, and up to 6 real time VST plug-ins per channel".

A recent article on MDA immersive audio here -

https://www.lifewire.com/dts-mda-fut...-audio-3134584

As for the OP and the future of ProTools, the Avid rumour mill seems to be off to the races once again - this time that CEO Hernandez has had enough and will step down, leaving president Jeff Rosica to take over as CEO later this year.

The rumour mill also has a further $30m in wage cuts to be made this year to stay the right side of those covenants.

Another rumour doing the rounds, is that Dolby has been pricing up the value of Avid's audio intellectual property, though I can't see much sense in Dolby buying the IP to PT.

Last edited by The Byre; 06-12-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
As for the OP and the future of ProTools, the Avid rumour mill seems to be off to the races once again - this time that CEO Hernandez has had enough and will step down, leaving president Jeff Rosica to take over as CEO later this year.

The rumour mill also has a further $30m in wage cuts to be made this year to stay the right side of those covenants.

Another rumour doing the rounds, is that Dolby has been pricing up the value of Avid's audio intellectual property, though I can't see much sense in Dolby buying the IP to PT.
I'm curious as to the track record of these sources. Have they been correct in any predictions posted here or on the gearslutz forum thread that is 4.5 years old?

Has a single thing come true?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Has a single thing come true?

A few yes, mostly no!

The staff lay-offs were true and noises about other staffing issues were also true, but all those reports of Avid's imminent demise seem to have been somewhat premature!

As for the Gearslutz thread, there have been some visceral attacks by (one assumes) disgruntled* customers. I have been fairly critical of Avid's business policies, but in all these things, one has to be mindful of the fact that one is indirectly also attacking people's livelihoods.

I care little about Avid, but it can get nasty when people attack small audio companies for what is often perceived faults in perfectly good products that turnout to be pilot error!

*I have yet to see a customer that is positively gruntled.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 AM

When you look at what Avid is doing outside of audio and you consider that the biggest area of growth today is professional video while the pro audio market is utterly saturated, I think Avid's choices about where to invest make perfect sense.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
A few yes, mostly no!

snip...

I care little about Avid
Thanks for the candor. The amateur hour business reporting on GS was always super annoying when all I wanted definitive info.

I too couldn't care less about the corporate entity Avid, although I like PT and the people that make and support it. Besides, PT will be sold off as one of its most valued pieces of IP should catastrophe strike, so all this "worrying" is for nothing IMO.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Thanks for the candor. The amateur hour business reporting on GS was always super annoying when all I wanted definitive info.

I too couldn't care less about the corporate entity Avid, although I like PT and the people that make and support it. Besides, PT will be sold off as one of its most valued pieces of IP should catastrophe strike, so all this "worrying" is for nothing IMO.
Like Sony sold off all their audio s/w (Acid/Soundforge/etc.) ?

QAPLA!
Old 06-13-2017, 03:59 PM

I wouldn't look for Pro Tools to ever be sold separately from Media Composer.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
(snip) the audio file integrity issues I've experienced in MIDI sequencer-based DAWs. When I hit the record button, I want writing flawless audio to take priority over MIDI timing.
Dear Bob,

I wonder if you could elaborate a bit on that observation? I'm intrigued and my (admittedly half-assed) Googling on the subject has not resulted in any useful and/or reliable information so far.

Of course, if anyone else of the esteemed members feels like sharing any insight, please don't hesitate, I'd much appreciate it.

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 PM

Bob probably means when creating a save copy in some files are not copied and the like.
Or when it is failing to find files after a similar operation as the files don't have unique ids. Oh that's what happens in PT, not in my "sequencer based daw".