Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2014, 11:14 PM

Default Detection of Stereo/Mono Track in AAF Import

Hi guys,

I have been reading the forums frequently in the past year but this is the first time I have decided to start a thread because I have been totally stumped by this problem.

I am currently working on this small project and the editor is using a NLE called Edius 6 by Grass Valley. When obtaining the AAF for the audio mix, I have selected the options in Edius to copy source files (interleaved stereo) together with the AAF in a folder.

However, when I open the AAF in Pro Tools, the AAF import dialogue box detects the tracks as mono. So for example if I had two stereo tracks in the NLE, Pro Tools would create two mono tracks only. It also discards one side of the stereo file rather than create a mono sum.

Interestingly, Edius can also export AAF with Pan settings and this creates an AAF with split mono tracks. However, as the source files are still interleaved stereo files, Pro Tools is also unable to relink the split mono tracks to the interleaved stereo files.

I am wondering if there is a way to force Pro Tools to recognise the tracks as stereo tracks or a better workflow solution to the problem. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Detection of Stereo/Mono Track in AAF Import

Have you had any luck getting Edius AAF files to import to PT? If so please post how you did it. I am also trying to get Edius sessions in to PT.

Thanks
Scott
Z690 AERO D Workstation, I7 3.6GHz 12 core, 64GB RAM, Win10 Business 64bit
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Detection of Stereo/Mono Track in AAF Import

Quote:
Originally Posted by aypchua View Post
However, when I open the AAF in Pro Tools, the AAF import dialogue box detects the tracks as mono.
Just a thought as I do not have Edius so have not tried this myself.

Have you tried opening a new PT session setup to have stereo and mono tracks the same as your Edius timeline
Then using Import session data from the AAF linking known stereo tracks from Edius to stereo tracks in your new empty PT session?

Andrew