How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Default Adjusting Gain for 2nd Stage

Hi
We have to mix broadcast 2 alternate Festival stages, each with 1 stagerack attached. Both stageracks are connected to 1 Venue Profile System in our recording trailer.

Would it be possible to adjust gains with a laptop for one stage while the other engineer is working and mixing on the other stage on the profile surface?

Just controlling gains on a laptop as example layer 3 & 4 while mixing live for radio/TV on layer 1 & 2 without disturbing each other.

How can we do this?

Thanks for any ideas.

Please let me know if my english isn't precise enough ;-).

Best, Patrick
Old 07-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Adjusting Gain for 2nd Stage

It's going to be difficult to handle two stages with one desk. There is no independence between ipad control and what you see on your computer screen, so I see no good way for how two people could work on a single desk the way you describe.

If you could get instead a well prepared (gain wise) signal from stages monitor or FOH consoles via MADI that would work I guess.

Also assigning two stage racks to a stock three-dsp card VENUE might leave you not-that-much dsp to create two separate mixes on 4 layers. If you get the input lists before the show then you could create show files beforehand, eliminating the need of having all 96 channels in use all the time. But if don't and if I were you I would create a single two-layer 48 input show and two snapshots that would toggle the inputs either from one or the other MADI feed. Using MADI would of course require MADI cards in the desk and MADI capable source desks and as I have not done this myself, I'm not sure how clocking would work in case three desks were involved.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:34 AM

Thank you for your precise answer.

I hoped to control Profile from 2 different engineers simultaneously in two different ways.

Madi is not possible, many Bands don't use Madi.

Best, Patrick
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 AM

No problem, glad to help.

If no MADI, you could get three people working, one engineer in the van, and one patching guy at each stage. Engineer creates one "your" festival patch with worst-case-scenario channels all laid out in the mix, and your patching guys will patch each act they get into your Stage Racks in the way/channel order so that they will fit YOUR festival patch. As an example in the way that kick drum will always be in channel one, Bass DI in lets say channel 13 and lead vocals in channel 25 etc etc.

That way your gain changes will be minimal as similar signals will hit the same inputs and the engineer will get the sound about right in fairly short period of time as he needs not to change all but just the inputs from either stage one or stage two and this can be done with two snapshots and can have his favorite dynamics, eq and fx processing up and running all the time.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 AM

Hi, buy one behriger X32 for $ 3.344 and have the independence you want. Shame!! at this point and still not make a standalone software, at least you recognize what customers demand. while we waiting playing with Vegas, is fun!!! .........