Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM

Default Most cost effective way to upgrade PCIX to PCIe ?

Hi,

Im finally considering an upgrade from my current HD3 Accel / PCIx / G5 / Tiger 10.4 to PT8 HD with a new Mac and PCIe cards.

Im sure many of you have done this at some point so I was wondering what the cheapest, smartest way to do it.

-Stick with the Digi exchange program prices?
-Sell my HD3 and buy a used HD3 PCIe system?
-Keep my 2 Accel cards, get a chassis for them, and just get an HD1 PCIe card used?

-Do I really need the most current Mac Pro? Would a generation or two back suffice? I dont run more than 5 or 6 VIs and 75% of my plugs are TDM. I know the more powerful Mac I get the more RTAS I can run, but Im still considering a used previous generation Mac Pro that has been working solid for most users.

Im sure there are other options that I haven't thought of yet as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Im basically looking for a relatively easy and cost-effective way to take the plunge from PT7.4 to PT8 with a Mac running Leopard or Snow Leopard.

Thanks!
MT

P.S. Should I even take into account that Avid may be coming out with new HD cards? I hear rumors here and there, but I dont want to hold my breath either. Unless there is an overwhelming response to wait a few months to see what Avid has in store.
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 10-13-2010, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Most cost effective way to upgrade PCIX to PCIe ?

I was right there with you and researched for a couple of months, and eventually made my decision :

Keep all 3 cards (HD3) and buy the Magma Chassis and a new Mac Pro. (I got a Nehalem and they are VERY reliable with the chassis.)

Then, as prices on Accel cards plummet, you can load up and upgrade to an HD6 with the Mac Pro for native plugs and have a system that's pretty much unrivaled.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Maybe the Avid Compatibility docs aren't updated, but I just read that the only Mac Pros supported are the ones released BEFORE March 3rd 2009.

Is that true? The most recent compatible Mac officially qualified is 1 year and 7 months old?

Are the current Nehalem based Macs not supported? And Im assuming the Westmere based Macs are definitely not supported.

Anyhow, can anyone clarify which Mac is the most " current " one qualified? Buying a Mac that is almost 2 years old seems like Im missing something, and my compatibility searching is not accurate.

Thx!

Also Dr.Bill - So have you gotten any PCIe cards yet? Or are you still running the HD3 PCI system, with your intel Mac via the chassis, and PT 8?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I was right there with you and researched for a couple of months, and eventually made my decision :

Keep all 3 cards (HD3) and buy the Magma Chassis and a new Mac Pro. (I got a Nehalem and they are VERY reliable with the chassis.)

Then, as prices on Accel cards plummet, you can load up and upgrade to an HD6 with the Mac Pro for native plugs and have a system that's pretty much unrivaled.
What He said! Way more cost effective and you will be able to further expand your power. That is unless they come out with newer cards. But then you will be paying top dollar again.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 PM

I bought used PCIE HD3 system for less than 50% from ebay. New PCIE use for mix and master, old PCIX system use for recording and as backup system.

RECORDING Studio: Mac Pro, OSX 10.6.8, PT HD 3 PCIe, Pro Tools 8.1.1,

MIX + MASTERING Room: MAC Pro, OSX 10.6.8, PT HD 3 PCIe, PT 8.1

3x 192 I/O, Digidesign PRE, UAD Octo, UAD Satellite Ultimate
Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Everest View Post
Is that true? The most recent compatible Mac officially qualified is 1 year and 7 months old?

Are the current Nehalem based Macs not supported? And Im assuming the Westmere based Macs are definitely not supported.

Also Dr.Bill - So have you gotten any PCIe cards yet? Or are you still running the HD3 PCI system, with your intel Mac via the chassis, and PT 8?
Hi MtE,

Well, although qualified a year ago, it was state of the art current up until ONE month ago. That's the version I got. They are still available at some Apple Resellers.

I don't think the Current (as of ONE month ago) Mac Pro's are supported yet. I'd imagine AVID is pretty busy, but they should be shortly unless there is some serious issue.

I have NOT gotten any PCIe cards, and will never need to. The expansion chassis comes with a e host card that fits in your new Mac Pro. All "x" cards go into the chassis. I will eventually add 3 more x version accel cards to the chassis, and with an HD6 and Mac Pro, I can't imagine needing any more power. Ever. The only thing that would make me upgrade is Avid locking older users out of an update that I simply cannot live without. At this point, I can't imagine what that would be, but I'm sure they'll give it their best try..... heh heh

Yes to further clarify, running HD3 PCIx / PT 8.0.3 within the chassis.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
What He said! Way more cost effective and you will be able to further expand your power. That is unless they come out with newer cards. But then you will be paying top dollar again.
Interesting. So the Chassis model to get should I go this route is the Magma PE6R4 ?

Im still confused on which Mac Pro I should be looking for on Ebay or Refurbished etc.

Im looking at the Apple Tech specs for Early 2009 Macs

Is that the right lot to pick from? If so, any particular model recommendation?

I have been out of the " upgrade game " for some time now, so Im not really up to date on what the best choice is as far as Quad or 8-core and what Ghz may be the golden pick.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys!
-MT
Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 PM

In your position I would, as above, keep your PCI cards, get a PE6R4, and get a 6- or 8-core Mac Pro. I ride a 4-core all day long with PT HD, but I also do other stuff simultaneously on the Mac. There are definitely times I wish I had an 8, particularly during mixing when I am using a combo of TDM and RTAS plug-ins. Six or eight cores will give you some headroom — always a nice thing to keep your work flowing smoothly.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Hi MtE,

Well, although qualified a year ago, it was state of the art current up until ONE month ago. That's the version I got. They are still available at some Apple Resellers.
ah, ok. Yeah I just realized there hadn't been a Mac Pro update until recently as you said.

Quote:
I have NOT gotten any PCIe cards, and will never need to. The expansion chassis comes with a e host card that fits in your new Mac Pro. All "x" cards go into the chassis. I will eventually add 3 more x version accel cards to the chassis, and with an HD6 and Mac Pro, I can't imagine needing any more power.
Yes to further clarify, running HD3 PCIx / PT 8.0.3 within the chassis.
Understood. However, IS it possible to add an Accel e card to the Mac itself and have it work along side the X cards in the chassis? Just curious. But yeah it does make sense to buy PCIX card since they are so inexpensive these days.
And lastly, I would want to make sure I got the correct chassis model. This is the Magma PE6R4? Does it need any customization, or is it a plug and play sort of thing?

Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Mt.E -

Not sure if you can add an e card if you're using the chassis. At least I know I wouldn't want to. No reason, and it complicates a number of issues, and I like uncomplicated.

Yes, PE6R4. I'd buy it from someone like RSPE or Sweetwater or someone who builds, installs and maintains high end PT systems. Then if there is a problem, you've got support, and RSPE has as good of prices as anyone.

As for the mac, this is what I got and what I've been talking about :

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...co=MTMxNDMxMjU

They have been approved for a year and are still available.

Good price, and research showed they were stone cold reliable with the Magma. The Westmere processors seem to be touch and go. Some have no problems, others are not working well.