Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Default Hold on or drop out?

I read today in the Mac forums a post that apparently AVID fired people, threw Pro Tools to a group of consultants to work on, and just bought up Euphonics. From reading the posts and checking the sources (read forum http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=271454here), it looks like it really is a possibility. Maybe I'm just being gullible.

Either way, AVID not only has Windows 7 and the 64-Bit crap to deal with, but they also have new hardware/software (constantly... ) in the ever-changing Mac computers, which they have always preferred. So it wouldn't be a far cry to at least suggest they'd focus mostly on keeping up with Mac computers rather than paying attention to Win 7 64-bit.

I know some people here have been hopeful that Pro Tools will be fixed up (I know I have been), but when?

With so many DAWs out there, it's almost incredible that AVID's neglecting Pro Tools so badly. Wasn't it THE Industry Standard? You'd think if you bought that up, you'd nurture it.

Anyhow, I finally sold my mbox and bought a 002R used a little while ago. Currently, all I need is a firewire drive, Win7, and the 64-bit drivers to get it going.

But here's my biggest worry: As soon as I get my computer set with Win7 and the 64-bit drivers and all, is AVID going to end the support for 002's? What about 003's? Would it be worth doing a quick trade-in upgrade (assuming they're still available) when the whole AVID-taking-over/AVID-not-working-on-Pro-Tools crap is going on?

Better Question: Anyone able to make some recommendations on what interfaces work with Reaper currently? I think I'm in the market...
Old 04-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Hold on or drop out?

[QUOTE=Kryst;
Wasn't it THE Industry Standard? You'd think if you bought that up, you'd nurture it....[/QUOTE]

It still is by a long shot

shea
Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 PM

I'm not aware of any interfaces with solid ASIO drivers that don't work with REAPER. There are some limitations in controllers.
I've used it with an old 001, an M-Audio 1814 and a generic laptop onboard soundcard.

Last night I edited an 8 track project on my laptop using the system drive and the cheap onboard card. In 10 years of using DAW's, my wife had never seen me "unchained" and got a kick out of watching me comp tracks... in bed while she watched TV.
I then moved it back to my editing suite and mixed this morning.
It's really refreshing... REAPER simply works.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryst View Post
in the ever-changing Mac computers, which they have always preferred.
I'm not one to say, but I don't think Digi (Avid) prefer Mac over windows. They use embedded XP for the Venue. I'm a PC so I hope they prefer multi platform. That is all.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I read today in the Mac forums a post that apparently AVID fired people, threw Pro Tools to a group of consultants to work on, and just bought up Euphonics. From reading the posts and checking the sources (read forum http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=271454here), it looks like it really is a possibility. Maybe I'm just being gullible.

Either way, AVID not only has Windows 7 and the 64-Bit crap to deal with, but they also have new hardware/software (constantly... ) in the ever-changing Mac computers, which they have always preferred. So it wouldn't be a far cry to at least suggest they'd focus mostly on keeping up with Mac computers rather than paying attention to Win 7 64-bit.

I know some people here have been hopeful that Pro Tools will be fixed up (I know I have been), but when?

With so many DAWs out there, it's almost incredible that AVID's neglecting Pro Tools so badly. Wasn't it THE Industry Standard? You'd think if you bought that up, you'd nurture it.

Anyhow, I finally sold my mbox and bought a 002R used a little while ago. Currently, all I need is a firewire drive, Win7, and the 64-bit drivers to get it going.

But here's my biggest worry: As soon as I get my computer set with Win7 and the 64-bit drivers and all, is AVID going to end the support for 002's? What about 003's? Would it be worth doing a quick trade-in upgrade (assuming they're still available) when the whole AVID-taking-over/AVID-not-working-on-Pro-Tools crap is going on?

Better Question: Anyone able to make some recommendations on what interfaces work with Reaper currently? I think I'm in the market...

There are users who have had success with W7. Others complete failure. The question here is whether you are up to a good few sessions of trouble shooting to get things acceptable in a W7 environment.

Benoni and Tom@Metro have reported positive results, although I believe Tom moves over to his XP rig for the heavy stuff.

If you absolutely need to make a move, PT is not the way to go at this moment. On the positive side, I do not see Avid dropping support for the 002's just yet, and since you made a recent move to a 002R, I think your covered until Avid drops the bomb, (hoping they do).

Investments now? Reaper is one possibility, Studio One is enticing enough as well.

A 64bit rewrite of PT is a while off, and before this happens, , maybe Avid will have changed the name and focus of PT to an all encompassing, native media software (integrating video and audio).

I personally do not feel the crunch for a 64bit OS, but I would love to see PT coded for 64bit and beating the bejeezes out of other native software.

For the time being, I would invest in quality mics, outboard gear, and stuff you will love regardless of age.

Also, for the time being, I suggest you find a stable working environment and stick with it. (In the meantime practice Reaper ).
Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 AM

Hey, thanks for all the responses thus far.

I've tried Reaper a couple different times and the more I do, the more enticing it is.
But here's the main issue I'd really like to know about Reaper: Though Reaper is 64-Bit, wouldn't I still need a "stable ASIO driver" in order for it to see my 002R? And if that is the case, technically that'd put me on hold again while waiting for Avid, or whomever now, to create the stable ASIO driver, no?

Also, I believed Digidesign was more Mac favourable due to ...well, before the Macs went Intel, anyhow. I mean, it made sense since PC computers contained many more different combinations of hardware than Macs did.

Actually, that kind of interests me now. I wonder if the original DAW that became known as Pro Tools was created first on a Mac or a PC platform...
Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:

The current Mac OSX version 10.6 is actually 64-bit... but it's all in one OS, no different "versions" (home, pro, ultimate, 32, 64, etc, etc). You can actually switch between 32-bit kernel and 64-bit kernel simply by holding "6" and "4" on bootup. Apple's Logic is a 64-bit DAW... but it's hard to compare PT and Logic, since Apple can stay ahead of the game by designing their DAW alongside the OS before anyone else.

Quote:
Hey, thanks for all the responses thus far.

I've tried Reaper a couple different times and the more I do, the more enticing it is.
But here's the main issue I'd really like to know about Reaper: Though Reaper is 64-Bit, wouldn't I still need a "stable ASIO driver" in order for it to see my 002R? And if that is the case, technically that'd put me on hold again while waiting for Avid, or whomever now, to create the stable ASIO driver, no?

Also, I believed Digidesign was more Mac favourable due to ...well, before the Macs went Intel, anyhow. I mean, it made sense since PC computers contained many more different combinations of hardware than Macs did.
This is still the case, especially since pre-Intel (PPC) Mac support has now been dropped completely by Apple, Avid and more every day. While Intel Macs are far more similar to PCs these days, they still tend to be more consistent in terms of primary components. This is probably why it's taking so long for an official build for W7. I wouldn't necessarily say that Avid favours Mac... but audio professionals in general seem to. There is certainly an exponential difference in the number of HD Mac users and Windows users, anyway. LE is pretty even. I've used and seen LE used across both platforms by many users and several studios, but I have NEVER seen a PTHD system on Windows. It's not so much that Macs are "better" but they are certainly more consistent.

Quote:
Actually, that kind of interests me now. I wonder if the original DAW that became known as Pro Tools was created first on a Mac or a PC platform...
Both Sound Designer and Pro Tools were Mac only in their inception.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Though Reaper is 64-Bit, wouldn't I still need a "stable ASIO driver" in order for it to see my 002R? And if that is the case, technically that'd put me on hold again while waiting for Avid, or whomever now, to create the stable ASIO driver, no?
The Digi ASIO driver is unstable for you? Which version? All versions (going back to the first) have been rock solid for me.
The Wave driver on the other hand is a long running joke...
Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 AM

The 8.0.4beta driver in W7/64 runs Reaper 64 just fine for me.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
The 8.0.4beta driver in W7/64 runs Reaper 64 just fine for me.
On the 192?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88