Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM

Default Studio intern - now for students only?

I'd like to know what are your experiences with getting a gig as a studio assistant.
Today I a studio I have been hitting up for months finally got back to me but this is what they wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, due to budget restraints, we are not able to compensate interns financially, and due to California Labor Laws we are not able to have unpaid interns at the studio unless they receive school credit. If you are able to receive school credit, please let me know.
Since I am no longer a student, I proposed they can hire me for $1 a month but Labor Laws are a problem again, since that is below minimum wage.

Seems a big studio does not want to do anything 'under the table' but it really surprised me that the only way to get an intern position is to be an active student and it's really frustrating that I'm offering my time for free, help is needed yet I can't do anything about it.

So here's my question to you: how have you seen such situations handled?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Studio intern - now for students only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacentyS View Post
I'd like to know what are your experiences with getting a gig as a studio assistant.
Today I a studio I have been hitting up for months finally got back to me but this is what they wrote:

Since I am no longer a student, I proposed they can hire me for $1 a month but Labor Laws are a problem again, since that is below minimum wage.

Seems a big studio does not want to do anything 'under the table' but it really surprised me that the only way to get an intern position is to be an active student and it's really frustrating that I'm offering my time for free, help is needed yet I can't do anything about it.

So here's my question to you: how have you seen such situations handled?
Have you contacted the school you went to and asked if you can buy an internship credit? Usually internships are bought as a credit class... you do the internship, and the place you do the internship communicates your progress to the school.

That being said, what are you expecting to gain from the internship?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, John.

I'm originally from Europe, so the college credits don't translate that way. I don't know much about the US education system, perhaps I could sign up just for one course and let the credits go there.
Does that seem possible?

As for the internship, I've never worked in a professional studio and would absolutely love the experience. I've been doing my own productions at home but having the ability to learn from professionals is invaluable to me.
Eventually I am hoping to be a full-time audio engineer.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, John.

I'm originally from Europe, so the college credits don't translate that way. I don't know much about the US education system, perhaps I could sign up just for one course and let the credits go there.
Does that seem possible?
It might be a lot more paperwork and hoop jumping than it's worth. By the time you got it figured out, the opportunity you have will probably be taken. In fact, it probably already has. There are audio schools turning out students all over the place, the market is flooded with people who will work for free just to get experience.

Quote:
As for the internship, I've never worked in a professional studio and would absolutely love the experience. I've been doing my own productions at home but having the ability to learn from professionals is invaluable to me.
Eventually I am hoping to be a full-time audio engineer.
You might want to look for smaller studios, people who run their business out of their home, but who have been in the business for a while. Just be careful, a lot of studios abuse interns. You will obviously need to do some grunt work for them, but you should be getting some knowledge in return as well.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 PM

Alright. Thank you very much for the advice. Definitely something to think about.

I once had an internship in a small studio and it did turn out pretty bad. While it was a hard time, I wouldn't trade it for anything. It taught me what some people are capable of and what to avoid in future endeavors.

Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Hey JacentyS,

It says your located in the bay area, I'm assuming that means San Francisco Bay Area???

Have you tried Studio 880 in Oakland? I interned there a couple years back and I picked up a lot from them. You do have to do some grunt work, but I sat in on a lot of sessions with some pretty talented people. And I wasn't a student at the time either (about a year removed from school).

So unless they've changed their practices recently, you may want to give them a try.

Good luck!

P.S. Call whatever studio you're applying to. Or better yet, go in person if you can. Always better to talk to someone than to blindly send an email. And have a resume ready.
jonlesher.com
thedrumeditor.com
Studio pre-production guide
Drum recording guide
Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnn View Post
And have a resume ready.
A demo reel is a good idea as well.