Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 AM

Default Thought I was abandoning the PC ship.....but....input please

Well....after way too much over analyzing of different DAW's, I decided that PT was the route I wanted to go. I bought an Mbox Pro - and I was pretty sure I also wanted to make the jump from
PC to Mac and I was going to buy an iMac. After lots of reading, I think it will be more than capable of handling what I am going to throw at it for now.

However, with Leopard not yet being supported by PTLE, but being what is going to come installed standard on the iMac - I wondered if some of you with experience with Digi can tell me what your previous experience has been with time frames on supported upgrades like this?

Now that I have the Mbox, I would really like to get up and running....and even though I would like to go the Mac route....if it's going to set me back quite some time - I may have to rethink my change and just stay PC for now.

I have read different posts about putting Tiger out there on a separate drive and boot to that...
While I can work out anything with some direction - I have never had to do this before so I don't know the "difficulty level" of something like this. Of course this is one of the reasons I was looking at the Mac jump....because I just wanted it to work. I guess XP would be an option also. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mbox 2 Pro,
KOMPLETE 5,
EZdrummer w/Nashville EZX

M-Audio Pro Keys 88.....M-Audio Axiom 49
UA-LA610.....AT4040.....AT4047
M-Audio BX8a Studio Monitors
Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Thought I was abandoning the PC ship.....but....input pl

I have been using ProTools for about ten years and I have to say that lately they have only been getting worse about releasing timely updates. They don't have the best track record of properly informing the customer of any time lines for updates so right now I don't think anyone can tell you when Leopard will be compatible. You could purchase a mac and run windows in bootcamp and use PT there until PTLE is supported by Leopard. I used to run PTLE on a Windows desktop machine in XP with pretty decent results. The only thing to take into consideration is all the tweaking you have to do to Windows to make it suitable for audio and when you do that it pretty much sucks for anything else. For people running a studio thats fine but for people who also need to use their computer for other things in addition to audio it's not the best option.

Plus, I really don't know that you as an end user you should have to jump through all these hoops. There was a long thread on PTLE/Leopard compatibility that I would recommend you read but in true DigiDesign nature they shut it down in an ongoing attempt to censor their message board.

I know you just bought the mbox but if you are deadset on the mac I gotta say, with native systems getting better every day, other systems like Logic are starting to look pretty good.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
but in true DigiDesign nature they shut it down in an ongoing attempt to censor their message board.

Huh! They locked the thread, BFD, Its not "Censored" however - it's still there in all its glory

It's pretty rare for Digi to lock a thread but not unheard of if the posters have gotten WAY out of line or are offering nothing useful. The Leopard compatibility thread had degenerated into just that.

Thats normal web forum moderation not censorship,

If you want actual honest to god censorship you can actually find that in the Apple forums where whole threads that are seen as uncomplimentory sometimes just "Go away"..... Quite often as a matter of fact. Leopard installation woes, Wireless networking issues, Bad LCD's on MacBooks and iMacs, Exploding batteries.... all have been actively censored by Apple at some point.

Google "Apple" and "Censorship" and start following links.

The only threads I know of the Digi has actually Deleted/Censored are ones about Hacks and Pirated software which are in clear violation of the Terms Of Use.

Personally I find Digi is fairly tolerant.

Digi actually stepped in and said as much as they can say, Its being worked on and as soon as Apple has fixed a item or two the work can begin in earnest. It's been wait and I think everyone would like to see a Leopard compatible version of LE-Digi included

Theres a huge differance between Moderation and Censorhip-please learn the differance.

As far as the original poster goes, It may be some time before LE is Leopard compatible, tested and released. If you need a DAW "Right Now" PT is not your best choice.

Also FWIW has anyone entertained the though the Apple could be deliberately dragging their feet on the required patches It's not like they have a competing product or anything Food for thought.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 AM

I'd agree with Sunburst..the last thread was shut down when someone started saying that Digi were a POS etc; not really necessary and juts wasted everyones time.

I am waiting for the update too, have been waiting for a few months. I'm pretty tolerant as I understand that the nature of ProTools makes it difficult to update. Have a look at some other messages a number of people have it working on 10.5.1 I think.

I moved from a PC PTLE user of 5 years to Macs 2 years ago ago and I have to say it was the best move I made.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:24 AM

hey dude just to let you know Protools does work with Leopard 10.5.1.

I'm currently running a brand new Mac Pro 8 core with OSX 10.5.1 and ProTools LE 7.4.1 CS3 update. It works perfectly fine here. I just did a 12 hour recording session last Saturday and it worked flawlessly. We tracked for about 7 hours straight non-stop and not 1 hiccup.

It works.

Hope the helps,
-Doug
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 AM

I keep hearing it works as well. Just seem like the only things that consistently keep popping up are certain plugins and VI, like Waves stuff.

It seems like if you follow a certain guideline of making sure you have the right Leopard version (10.5.1, I think?) and the latest version of Pro Tools, you'll be fine as long as you make sure you follow all of the proper setup steps.

I was *really* considering buying a new Macbook a couple of weeks ago, but just decided I didn't want to take a chance of having my workflow slow down because of Leopard issues. Plus, I'm cheap... HA HA

So I bought a used Powerbook. Sure, not as powerful as an Intel machine, but stable & solid as a rock with Pro Tools.

I'll probably end up doing the new iMac thing when Leopard gets situated with Digidesign, though.