Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Default patch settings? Drag & Drop replace sample?

1) Is there a way to save a default patch or part, meaning the parameters? I'd like every new patch (created by drag & drop from the PT tracks) to start with a default release time (among other settings).

2) Is there a way to drag & drop replace a sample? In the event #1 can't be done, I could save a default patch & then replace the sample (undesireable workaround, but better than nothing). I see a menu option to replace a sample but it forces me into dialog box & I should be able to drop a region off the PT tracks & replace that sample, therefore keeping any settings I've made.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Default patch settings? Drag & Drop replace sample?

You could drag & drop directly on to the Part in the Treeview Section - (Import samples to...), thus retaining global (Patch) settings.

And you can drag & drop on existing Patch Modules within the Patch List retaining patch settings. This is destructive however.

filosofem
Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
You could drag & drop directly on to the Part in the Treeview Section - (Import samples to...), thus retaining global (Patch) settings.

Thanks!, but I can't get this to work. It just adds a sample (doesn't overwrite), and the envelope returns to the default of no release time, for the newly added sample. I can't get it to overwrite the existing sample. Maybe there's a setting in the "Import Sample To" dialog that I'm missing, but nothing indicates overwriting the existing sample.

This is for drag-n-drop of course.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM

I steered you wrong, use 'Paste Part Parameters', right-click Part List (Patch List) - Copy Part.

filosofem
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I steered you wrong, use 'Paste Part Parameters', right-click Part List (Patch List) - Copy Part.
filosofem
I appreciate the replies, but this still isn't working for me. I'm Selecting "Copy Part" with the desired part selected, then "Paste Part Parameters" after selecting the newly dropped sample/part. No parameters change.

Even if I can get this working, it's unreal that something this basic should be so cumbersome. Believe it or not I was on the beta team, but never really got around to testing it thoroughly because of shortcomings like this. What looks like a wonderful sampler for music, is one crucial step away from being usable in a sound design environment. While yes, it can still serve as a sound design sampler, someone needs to come watch me work for a day to see how 98% of us in Sound Design need to use this.

Drag & Drop into a default "Instrument", is what we need. Without that, the workflow just isn't there & this will be a plug-in that we never bother opening. I'll take just drag & drop replacing a sample - it's easy enough to save a patch, and call it up. Looks like it's all in there, with the "Replace Sample" option, but navigating to a folder for that isn't what we're after.

Just missing one step DIGI - drag & drop replace a sample - please!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM

Just to confirm:

*Patch List>Sine Patch Module>Expand Part List - select Sampler>Sampler Part Filter Parameter Sub-Page - adjust Release.
*Right-click Sampler Part Sine>Copy Part.
*Drag & drop region into Sine Patch Module Part List>right-click newly dropped Sampler Part>Paste Part Parameters.

Ummm... with the 'Replace Samples' command, could you not use 'Favorites' (Browser Controls) in the 'select new audio file' dialog?

filosofem
Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Just to confirm:

*Patch List>Sine Patch Module>Expand Part List - select Sampler>Sampler Part Filter Parameter Sub-Page - adjust Release.
*Right-click Sampler Part Sine>Copy Part.
*Drag & drop region into Sine Patch Module Part List>right-click newly dropped Sampler Part>Paste Part Parameters.

Correct - though I'm on a Mac so it's not a right click. But I'm doing exactly this thru the menu's & the parameters do not update.

Quote:

Ummm... with the 'Replace Samples' command, could you not use 'Favorites' (Browser Controls) in the 'select new audio file' dialog?

Favorites don't get me to regions on tracks, which is the whole point of drag & drop. Navigating to a file to replace the sample is a bad interruption of workflow.

They're so close - yet so far.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I'm doing exactly this thru the menu's & the parameters do not update.
Really? Somethings not right.

A simple modifier would suffice for Replace Samples e.g., Shift - drag & drop.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, I totally understand your frustration, maybe one day you can blow the dust off thee old girl.

filosofem
Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks again for the tips! At least it wasn't for a lack of looking.

I'll just have to go back to Kontakt until DIGI makes it a usable workflow.