Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Still using LIVE for drum loops or can PT 7 do it?

Hey guys,

I've been useing LIVE 5 and previous versions for quite sometime for putting together drum loops for songs.
Now my question is can you do this now in PT 7 as well as you can in LIVE?

If you can't I think I'll just keep on using LIVE and not even try to use the loops straight into PT.

Anyone doing this yet with PT?

Thanks,

KC
Old 03-17-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Still using LIVE for drum loops or can PT 7 do it?

yea .. use BFD in an instrument track and draw the hits in in the midi
view ... you get pretty fast at it after a couple of songs...
jeff
Old 03-17-2006, 06:15 PM

"Loops" can be many techniques these days.

Personally, I do not see why not. The only *glaring* omission from the tools available (IMO) is a MIDI track view like most Sequencer+DAW's have (with piano roll AND <at least> one CC in a variable pane below it).

If you are assembling pieces with one-shots, or audio clips/chunks/hits, there are numerous tricks and techniques. One cool thing is being able to set tracks to sample or tick based. In tick based, this means you can play with tempo, and retain bar|beat|tick placements of each hit. TCE provides a decent tool to stretch/squish an existing loop.

I have tried most of the sequencers and such out there. Granted, I am not producing dance/rap/hip-hop, or other genres that seem to beg for the person to know Acid or Live.

Maybe if you gave a sorta "step-by-step" of something you do in Live that you find PT lacking in the ability to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reply's

I usually use Drums on Demand or Discreet Drums in Live running along side PT. Both DOD & DD come with Verse, Ch, Bridge, Fills sections that I can audition very quickly and the throw in to the song.
With PT I can put them into the song no problem, but can I audition them as quickly as Live and will it match the BPM of the Loops to the BPM of the song in real time like Live does?

I don't think it will.

I would like to eliminate the step of using Live if possible because after putting the loops together in Live I have to get them out into PT via rewire then record, or render in Live and import into PT.
I don't know and can't hear which is the better way sound quality wise, but it seems if I could do it all in PT I could save some hassle and possibly one time of changing the loop files from there original form.

Do know which would sound better?

Thanks,

KC