Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 09:25 PM

Default HDTM explained?

Hello all, I just recently upgraded to PT 7 and all the plugins that I have that say HTDM next to them cannot be opened? I never really gave much thought as to what the HTDM meant on my plugins, what am I losing by not having the ability to open those plugin types? For example I have the Sony Oxfrord Eq that has a HDTM option which is not able to be opened in PT 7, but the Oxford EQ RTAS works beautifully. I am basically asking what was the HTDM plugin giving me that I now cant use? Any help would be great, thanks Brett
Old 02-10-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Re: HDTM explained?

HTDM was a flaky format that expanded on the initial power of RTAS by allowing plugins to be opened in places where RTAS plugins were not. Put simply, plugins were hosted on the CPU like RTAS plugins, but could be routed in a more versatile manner like TDM plugins.

From Pro Tools 7, Digi have gotten rid of HTDM and, in exchange, broadened the power of RTAS to fill its shoes. Trust me - things are MUCH BETTER this way. RTAS is more robust and the initial PITA of people switching over is circumvented by the more reliable performance.

The only downside I've heard about are people who shelled out more money for plugins specifically because they were HTDM when the RTAS version of the plugin was cheaper.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: HDTM explained?

Quote:
I am basically asking what was the HTDM plugin giving me that I now cant use?
Host-TDM basically gave me and others unstable systems. This format never worked very well, and that may be why it didn't make it into PT 7.

Whenever I used HTDM plug-ins something called "Stream Manager" would use a fraction of a DSP chip. If memory serves I believe HTDM could only use one chip. When it was maxed out I couldn't use more HTDM plug-ins. Basically...I'm glad it's gone.

Read about HTDM to RTAS plug-in conversion in "What's new in PT 7". If you really want to know what HTDM was all about you can search for "stream manager" and "htdm" and "what-is-going-on-I-can't-work-with-this-thing".