Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Should I Upgrade To 7 Or Hold Out?

I've been holding off on installing my PTLE 7 Upgrade till the initial bumps in the road have been paved, but I've been too busy working lately to keep up with the info on this board so I was wondering if some of you have done the upgrade could chime in here with your experiences, including problems and solutions you may have encountered. I'm gonna be doing some in-depth midi-drum part editing soon and the new split/select feature looks very tempting, but truth be told, I'm a little more concerned with the possible effects commiting to the use of Spotless and EasyFind than the upgrade itself. Anyhow, any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Should I Upgrade To 7 Or Hold Out?

hold out

48 trak protools in the way

Old 01-19-2006, 11:14 AM

You should hold out until Protools 9.3 HL. I hear it's going to be the BOMB!!

Digidesign finally does away with the HD-LE split and moves to a unified architecture. Unlimited tracks of every kind, full 3D holographic dislpay support, with the newly adopted 16.3 surround support in the new fully digilog (digital/analog hybrid) format. Protools 9.3 makes the final move to a fully integrated system running on it's own dedicated operating system (Digi finally make the right desicion and moves to Linux--although Linus Torvalds has now invented a new operating system called Tove (after his beloved wife) (so digi is still a generation behind-again)) right off your hand held video phone. And the whole thing will run off a biometrically implanted iLok version 3.

Scheduled to ship in August 2011 and will be a free upgrade to anyone who purchased their Protools 9.1 system in the last 4 days of July. For everyone else, it will be a $785 upgrade (you have to remember that this is in the future and inflation will have skyrocketed as the dollar looses it's values and people start dealing in thimble fulls of gasoline--in 2011, $785 will be roughly equivelent to $13.45 and a McDonald's double cheesburger today).

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-19-2006, 11:25 AM

Oh yeah, I frogot to add:

Protools 9.3 HL will require a full CIA background check because of it's incorporation of a new plug-in called VoiceKlone which uses convulted synthesis to take a prerecorded voice and process it to sound exactly like any other voice sample, complete with regional accents lack of enunciation. The potential for subversive behavior looms large as this foils the whole taped confession model of the Justice (no pun intended) System and anyone can make a recording of anyone else confessing to a crime or other activity that they did not commit.

As a side note, the Jimi Hendrix family goes bankrupt because now any Joe Schmoe off the street can sound exactly like Jimi.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-19-2006, 11:54 AM

Old 01-19-2006, 12:07 PM

Normally, this kind of response on message boards totally annoys me, but I have to admit - this one is funny - good work - now, any feedback in terms of stability of PTLE 7?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:53 PM

LOL.

Digi have made a response on http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#913988
which indicates that although there are a lot of system specific/ user issues they still acknowledge that things are not all OK with 7.0!

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 PM

Unless there is something wrong with your system, upgrading to PT7 with DUAL processors will improve your performance quite noticeably - once you have "compatible" plugins. It the single CPU guys that I believe are suffering the performance hits.

Of course, plan to upgrade ALL of your plugins to take advantage of the DP architecture, so it's not just the cost of the PT upgrade. If you have a DP machine and DON'T upgrade your plugins, you may see a performance hit.

Most of my plugin upgrades were free, but Waves cost me a small bundle for WUP, and I had to buy a $50 upgrade for Ivory. Most of my other ones had free upgrades. It was still a lot of downloading.

The rex file support and instrument tracks made my Protools life a lot easier, not to mention the WAY-improved midi functions, drag and drop file import, simplified menu structure, etc.

I opened a previously maxed-out session with 3 EWQL Symphonic Orchestra plugins, 32 audio tracks (lots of edits and automation), 2-3 plugins per track (Waves and/or BF), and C4, L3 and L1+ (for dither) on the master fader - and Altiverb loaded. On PT 6.7, it was hitting 60-70% CPU utilization and occasionally would bomb out on the bounce. I did have to bounce the Ivory piano to disk as it couldn't handle everything else AND Ivory. I loaded the same session in PT 7cs1 with upgraded plugins and the utilization dropped to well under 50%, to about 45%. No errors on bounce. I might even have been able to load Ivory.

I can't believe that if you bought 7.0 now, you wouldn't be eligible for a free upgrade to 7.1 when it's available. That would be very uncharacteristic of Digi. I'm hoping that I'll be eligible for a free upgrade and I bought it in December.

You don't have to wait for version 9.3 HL, I hear that 7.2cs122 will have nearly everything but the holographic plugin.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.