Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Default Re: How do you know if you have a Green, Blue or non Green or Blue Drive

Ok so if I was going to buy an internal hard drive for my Dell laptop from Dell and they said was a 7200rpm hard drive, how would I know that it isn't a green drive?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM

Default Re: How do you know if you have a Green, Blue or non Green or Blue Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ok so if I was going to buy an internal hard drive for my Dell laptop from Dell and they said was a 7200rpm hard drive, how would I know that it isn't a green drive?
Most green drives are not ever really 7,200 rpm, but some confused marketing may claim that. You need to know the exact make/model of drive you are buying, or don't buy it. Why would you want to buy any add-on drive from Dell?

Amazon and others have many great 2.5" HDD and SSDs for laptops.

Especially for a laptop I would look at SSDs as they are robust/virtually immune to rough handling, use less power and are sigificantly faster than a HDD.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:33 PM

I THINK it is safe to buy that 7200rpm drive, as I don't believe any manufacturer advertises 2.5" and 7200rpm and green in the same package. Laptop drives are 5400rpm by default so if they say 7200rpm they also say not green.

But this is just an educated guess.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the advice you were right. I bought the Dell hard drive, they sent it to me and it was actually a Western Digital Black 7200 rpm drive, from what I am told a Western Digital Black 7200 rpm is good hard drive to run Pro Tools. Thanks
Old 12-25-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for the advice you were right. I bought the Dell hard drive, they sent it to me and it was actually a Western Digital Black 7200 rpm drive, from what I am told a Western Digital Black 7200 rpm is good hard drive to run Pro Tools. Thanks
WD Black drives are among the best, so you were really lucky :)