Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2019, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Plugin Alliance have gone subscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Yes, remember buying that one back in 2008.
Dirk's first release :)

I am now planning on selling most of my PA stuff.
Keeping a few specials though.
Do be aware that PA has changed the terms on selling licenses. It's at this page: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/transfer-license.html
You have to be logged in to see it. For those who don't want to login to the PA site here's a copy/paste:

Transfer License

If you want to transfer / sell any of your PA licenses to somebody else, you can do this here.
Below is a complete list of all your active licenses that are available for you to transfer to another customer. You can select multiple licenses to transfer, but only one person to transfer them to at a time. If you want to sell various licenses to a number of different people, you can do so, but please read the instructions below!
After you transfer any licenses, the person you transferred them to will have to pay a transfer fee of $20 per plugin before they can activate them.
We are currently working on enabling the buyer to pay for the license transfer fees using our Dynamic Discounts, so they will save big time when activating several transferred licenses at once. Right now a buyer will have to pay $20 per plugin, without being able to use Dyanamic Discounts.
As soon as the Dynamic Discounts will be enabled for activation fees (we're aiming at August 2019), you can get a discount of up to 60%, if you activate 6 or more plugins in one go. Which will bring down the effective cost per license transfer to $8 per plugin. For reference, the transfer fee for ilok licenses is $25 per plugin.
We will apply the same stepped discount for activation fees that we apply to plugin purchases, so you'll save 20% on 2 activations, 30% on3, 40% on 4, 50% on 5, and 60% on activations of 6 or more plugins.
Also, you can pay license activation fees with loyalty voucher codes if you have some.
We used to limit the number of transferred licenses to 10 per month, but we have lifted this restriction as of July 25, 2019!
You can now transfer as many licenses in one transaction as you want, but currently you can only initiate one transfer per month. We are actively working on lifting that restriction as well, so in the near future you will be able to sell and transfer as many licenses as you want, in as many transactions per month as you want. You cannot transfer inactive licenses, free licenses, licenses with a fee required, licenses that were previously transferred to you.
Remaining Restrictions:
  • You cannot transfer inactive licenses, or inactive licenses which require a fee to be paid.
  • If you have a license for a multiple versions of a plugin (for example, bx_digital V2 and bx_digital V3), then those licenses cannot be transferred separately.
  • FREE Licenses can’t *be sold, for example the ones you get when you open a PA account, like bx_cleansweepV2, bx_rockrack Player, bx_solo, bx_subfilter, elysia niveau filter, bx_freeranger, etc.
Plugin Alliance is not involved in any financial agreement or transaction between people who transfer licenses (aka buyer and seller).

When you login to the site and go to the page you'll also see a listing of what you currently own.

QAPLA!
Old 07-26-2019, 10:46 AM

Still think this is waaaaaaay too complicated and WTF is that extra $20 per plugin for in reality? Everything is done automatically and we already paid big for some of these so IMO PIA is getting worse by the day

And what happened to the $50 cap? Is that gone as of yesterday? No mention about this anymore???

I am soooo done with this plugin Sheeetshow and will warn EVERYONE I work with to go look elsewhere and stay away from these clowns!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
You cannot transfer ... licenses that were previously transferred to you
Ahhh ha ha ha.

So you can only sell a license once it seems and then it is stuck with the buyer.
Makes total sense /s
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 07-27-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I am soooo done with this plugin Sheeetshow and will warn EVERYONE I work with to go look elsewhere and stay away from these clowns!
Yep. I'm out too. I currently don't have the infrastructure to go outboard analog effects (yet), but all of this subscription nonsense has led me to reacquaint myself with PT's stock and Complete Plugin bundle that I already have. They may not have all of the bells, whistles and pretty GUI's, but they work just fine if you know what you're doing.

Since the cost to run PT has gone up, my need for expensive 3rd party add-ons has diminished. Other than the iZotope stuff - that I need for my job - I've begun curbing my plugin habit.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 07-27-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Spending on Hardware only this past 1.5 years have been awesome and it is a whole lot more fun to actually touch and play with the analog beauties we bought instead of buying more plugins we dont need to make great music.
This is something that I have started to consider.......

Quote:
I say BUY the ones you NEED and learn to use them 100% and concentrate on your music instead of this subscription fever that has come over us all ...

All IMHO of course / Peace Out!
I only own about 50 odd plugs that I have tried to get that cover production and probably more to do with mastering..... I really don’t see me buying too many more.... I’m more concerned about getting that amp sound miked right than what plugin I should use.... even then it’ll mostly be a light dusting..... thanks for the good advice
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 07-28-2019, 11:29 AM

PIA is moving in a direction that has me thinking of moving away from them, (as I did with Waves.)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-28-2019, 11:43 AM

i refuse to rent plugins once the genie is out the bottle every body is renting plugins some with rent to buy what's the point!
Old 07-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Prices and vouchers aside, what turned me off was the censorship and deletion of negative feedback on their social media avenues. I understand not wanting a bunch of raw bashing bogging down the content, but I didn't see them deleting any repetitive fanboy posting, so yeah...

That and changing company policies silently behind the customers' back...

Last edited by AlexLakis; 07-28-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Prices and vouchers aside, what turned me off was the censorship and deletion of negative feedback on their social media avenues. I understand not wanting a bunch of raw bashing bogging down the content, but I didn't see them deleting any repetitive fanboy posting, so yeah...
This is why Dirk has given up on posting over at Gearslutz because they eat his lunch for sure. He has no stroke to get posts deleted over there but can do so at Fakebook.

QAPLA!
Old 07-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Waves isn’t subscription is it? I have an update period if I don’t update they still work right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
PIA is moving in a direction that has me thinking of moving away from them, (as I did with Waves.)
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————