Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-03-2020, 12:02 PM

Default Assertion errors. (windows)

Hey all.

little frustrating today, as Ive not been able to work due to assertion errors.

Assertion in "d:\ code\ scm\ protools\ release\ 2020\ r1\ protools\ newfilelibs\ time\ time_typedbase.h", line 154.

Getting this everytime I finish the clip im working on (soon as i press stop)

I have to then force quit PT and restart for the same thing to happen again.

I did install the latest version a few days ago, so this was the first time actually working with midi since then.

Wondering if anyone else has the same/similar issue or if its a isolating problem my end.

Not sure where to troubleshoot (im not a computer expert by any means)

Thanks so much, and any help is muchly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Assertion errors. (windows)

When you get an assert error start by searching on the message.

Like google search

"Assertion" "time_typedbase.h"

or

"Assertion" "time_typedbase.h" site:duc.avid.com

and you'll probably know as much as anybody here about this issue.

You'll see past causes being traced down to corrupt sessions, video files, etc. Start by trying starting with a new empty session. If that is not it trash prefs and try temp. moving all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder into the Unused folder (or anywhere else). Trashing prefs again and then run pro tools.

And I'm sure you meant to provide some, ...any, useful info about your setup, see under "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-23-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:42 PM

Actually, yes I would of posted if i was in the studio, but I had enough and closed the doors for the day. so did all this on my phone (less than ideal) but I was at the head space of corrupting the studio if i stayed any longer :) - I will plan of posting this in the morning.

but to go over some good points of yours.

I did actually trash prefs (first thing I did actually) - and also tried with a vanilla install of PT. (removed all plugins to the unused folder)

Google search came up blank, hence why Im here. (just FYI)
Old 07-03-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy44 View Post

Google search came up blank, hence why Im here. (just FYI)
Yep, which is why I also tried to show some ways to search for assert messages with Google search. The quotes force only results that include that string. The main thing that matters is the source code file name not the whole path as people will type that in all different ways but the file name has to match. And the line number is probably not worth searching on, as it can vary depending on version of the source code even for the same root cause.

And what you seen is a smattering or rare asserts like this going back far far in history. And it's an assert in a header file not a cpp file so that might mean it's possibly more an nonspecific error than some seen in cpp files (where the asset is always getting fired by the exact code path in that file).

So very rare and some of those past discovery of session issues... makes session corruption by far the thing I would first suspect.