Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 PM

Default Audio for Animation Project with video camera recording talent question

Hi from anyone who has done this. Have up coming project that needs audio recorded for animation with the need to record a video of the talent at the same time while recording audio. Anyone care to share their experience?

1) How do you set it up with Pro Tools? Tech Rider requires we shoot a video feeding guide audio on one track and time code on track 2, most probably from an HD I/O onto second track of Camera audio. Seems simple enough, but in the real world how is it done?

2) You're recording hundreds of lines of dialog and sequences, stopping and starting ProTools while camera is running. Ordinarily something we do day to day. First time to do it with a camera running. Any advice appreciated.

3) I am willing to pay for a consultation regarding this. Anyone can recommend a resource person for this?

Thanks in Advance!
www.hitproductions.net
Old 02-06-2019, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Audio for Animation Project with video camera recording talent question

I can tell you that most of the major productions for feature animation use a time code clock display behind the talent running a TC feed from pro tools Sync HD. The camera record is only there to capture video with no audio feed.

If they truly want production audio and TC signal going into the camera you should ask if they’re bringing their own camera. This will determine what you’ll need per their request.

At the very least, you’ll need a Sync HD, an analog audio feed for production audio and the TC out from the Sync IO for the channel 2 of the camera.

You’ll record the lines linearly down the timeline, stopping for each take. Yes, TC will stop but it won’t be an issue unless the want continuous TC throughout the record session. In which case, your setup will be a little different. You should probably get more details. Feel free to PM me.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Audio for Animation Project with video camera recording talent question

If you don't have a sync HD, you can put time code on another audio track to feed the camera.

You can generate here:

http://elteesee.pehrhovey.net/
Old 02-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Thanks so much guys. Very much appreciated!
www.hitproductions.net
Old 02-12-2019, 05:23 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

I've done original dialog sessions for a Hollywood blockbuster animated feature.
Basically all you need to ensure is that the LTC and guide are recorded on the camera at decent levels.
I generated the LTC via Sync i/o and fed one of the mics via 192.
We filmed behind the glass on a Canon C200.
And all the recording was done continuous as much as possible with slate/direction on a separate channel.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app