Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Re: 12.7.1 Ouch !

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Documentation proving this please. I haven't noticed any difference in operation between 10 and 11.
I know the feature was introduced with version 11. A quick google threw up this http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=342106 so I would suggest you start searching the Avid site for 'what's new in version 11' docs.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I know the feature was introduced with version 11. A quick google threw up this http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=342106 so I would suggest you start searching the Avid site for 'what's new in version 11' docs.
Yes sorry I've since done a search myself. Trouble is I've tended to work on a mix continually in input monitoring mode, as a really easy way to quickly do A-B comparisons with a ref track, old mixes, etc, by switching in and out of input. ("Live" mix vs "ref mix"). I've never once considered that Tools just might not be geared up for this and that I'm effectively always in the "lower" buffer size. Hmmm. I'll have to have a serious think on this. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Do you use VIs? Do you use a low H/W buffer so the MIDI doesn't end up recording out of time? Do you end up with the thing stopping halfway through a take? If not, you're a luckier man than I. And I say all this as a Pro Tools fanboy.
My contribution to this is this.

If (Protools Runs Audio Only)
{
rockSolid = True;
}
else if (ProTools Runs VIs and Use Midi) {
rockSolid = False;
setUseAnotherDAWToCompose = True;
}

If I launch PT to record a band or compose with the Acoustic Guitar and never use a VI or try to use a low Buffer - I could record the rest of my life without it crashing or dropping audio... The minute I even dare think of inserting a VI or lowering the Buffer - my day is ruined and that immediately ! And that since Protools 11.

I used to hate RTAS Performance with Protools Prior to 11. But it was never so bad that I was forced to use another DAW. PT11 and especially 12 made that choice a no brainer !
Old 04-28-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
What do you mean by "many VI".. do you have many installed, or do you use many at once in PT? Are you talking 3-4 VI's, 10-12, 20-30, or more? I'm always intrigued by any one who claims to use "many" VIs at once in any version of PT, who isn't also using something like VePro to offload them. I've just never seen what I would consider "many VIs" running at once with my on eyes on any PT rig. I've seen it (and do it myself) many times with Logic, Cubase and other daws, but with PT...I've yet to see it happen. Are these VIs just playing simple drum parts, or do you really get multiple VIs that are using decent amounts of polyphony all going at once?

What buffer settings are you at? Can you actually play these in realtime from a controller? No offense intended here. I'm truly curious about the handful of people on this board that claim to run "many" VIs with no issues in PT. While the rest of us have constant issues with 9173s and other errors. My 12 core Macpro will not run any where near what I would consider "many VIs" inside PT. I'm not even getting into the numerous midi bugs in PT, which is a whole other topic
Man, do your homework. The guy you are quoting is a serious player in the world of recording/production, working with A-List bands/artist. I'm pretty sure his sessions are pretty intense on all fronts.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-28-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Man, do your homework. The guy you are quoting is a serious player in the world of recording/production, working with A-List bands/artist. I'm pretty sure his sessions are pretty intense on all fronts.
I wasn't attacking him...I was genuinely curious what kind of performance he was getting. Apparently the NMP fair much better than the 12core cheese graters. My 12core doesn't get that kind of VI performance with PT with out constant 9173s.

Last edited by dankin; 04-28-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Ok, this new session we have up now are (and I counted) 29 VI and another 27 VI with only samples inside so 54 VI we run IRT that we tweak and change sounds until everything sound like we want it to.

I would consider that many VI for only use in the Computer and no external programs.

Buffer is never touched here as we are very happy tracking thru our SSL4000G+ into Apollo Quads and Apollo 16 Black X2. We use a 6 core nMP 2013 32GB Ramm and 512GB Flash hard drive and 3 external Samsung Pro 850 512GB in a thunderbolt chassie and another Samsung SSD 1TB for samples into the trashcan thunderbolt.

I think a 9173 error popped up once yesterday when i was drawing live automation on two tracks at the same time with a Slate Raven MTi2 but that was a HUGE session and we had all 42 43 VI up and non committed.

No rewire or VEP here either.
Thanks for the detailed response. I own VEP, but it's not currently installed on either of my systems. For me it's to much of a hastle unless you work from a large template.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
PS. We don't use HDX anymore. The HDX2 system just sits in wait of sale.
Name your price, you might have potential customer lurking here
Old 04-29-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Yes sorry I've since done a search myself. Trouble is I've tended to work on a mix continually in input monitoring mode, as a really easy way to quickly do A-B comparisons with a ref track, old mixes, etc, by switching in and out of input. ("Live" mix vs "ref mix"). I've never once considered that Tools just might not be geared up for this and that I'm effectively always in the "lower" buffer size. Hmmm. I'll have to have a serious think on this. Thanks.
Definitely worth a rethink I would think. You could be very pleasantly surprised!
Old 04-29-2017, 03:06 AM

Hi,
New forum user here. Just started using PT again after a 15 year break. Last time was with version 6 so version 12 feels almost like a new DAW to me.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I'm having problems opening .exs-files into Structure Free. When trying PT 12.7.1 quits unexpectedly.
Known bug perhaps? Is there any work around?
Old 04-29-2017, 03:21 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

Perhaps asking around in the Virtual Instruments subforum? I've heard that there is an update available for Structure, but I don't use it myself so don't know for sure