Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Are you Satisfied with the fast Avid Updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
For starters, I would be glad if they had quarterly updates and pre-set release dates :P
or just fix the Bugs and other Issues - old and new .. and ONLY roll out a new feature WHEN IT IS READY .. not yelling - just for emphasis ..

but the Law says - say it release it ... so everything is Stressed and Tense .. should be a better way !!!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMBOR View Post
I can tell you this when I am just playing back a 20 track project, using PT 12.5 HDX on an 8 core I7 running 4.4GHz, SSD drive, not clicking on anything and I get -9173 out of the blue, it's not from crazy clicking.
+1. Some users don't demand very much from their rigs (maybe those are the ones who get a smooth ride) Others do, and the software should be able to handle anything you throw at it, within reasonable expectations. PT shouldn't crash from basic editing chores; that's one of the things it was created to do.

No crazy clicking here, and PT's mighty unstable. It gets worse when you throw in VI's and MIDI, but basic audio editing still crashes PT big time, all the time. We have seen solid, stable versions in the past, performing the same tasks, but PT 12 is just not one of those.

Back on topic, I'm NOT satisfied! Out of 6 or 7 recent releases, only one is usable for me, and even that one is still buggy as hell with 9173 and a couple of other errors that many times necessitate rebooting the computer.

Last edited by lesbrunn; 05-16-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 AM

Personally I don't recall any specifics being given, only that they promised more frequent updates, and said that the subscription plan would make it possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Out of interest, can anyone point to anything on the record from Avid regarding the specific frequency of updates?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Well they definitely fulfilled their promise. Of course more frequent updates =/= more updates. PT11 was packed with new features. PT12 was packed with a subscription plan, eeking out new features along the way.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Well they definitely fulfilled their promise. Of course more frequent updates =/= more updates. PT11 was packed with new features. PT12 was packed with a subscription plan, eeking out new features along the way.
I am happy with what 12 brought. Commit, Track freeze and clip effects are great. Everyone has their needs. I could have lived without collaboration but I can see using it in the future.

Its not so much the features I worry about, its the added volatility and somewhat useless MIDI/Vi implementation. Hence the desire for track freeze. I hope track freeze wasn't Avid's "cure" for poor VI performance.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
... I hope track freeze wasn't Avid's "cure" for poor VI performance.

C
I think that's exactly what it was. A way to keep working without fixing the underlying problem, which is tangled very deeply in the software code. That said, 12.7.1 is working very well here. But if I need VI's I try to start in Logic. It's not slightly better. It's miles better for virtual instruments.

Steve