Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-23-2018, 10:43 PM

Default Why so impossible to get an earlier version of High Sierra? Anyone have 10.13.2 full?

After failing with apple today to order an imac pro with 10.13.3 instead of 10.13.6

after putting me through to a store with tech department and them telling me that they ALSO do NOT keep any older OS versions around..

to me then calling a third party apple repairer to tell me THEY only have 10.13.6

I then incentivised them and said, what about if i order the imac pro from you rather than apple direct, could you find one then? And them saying doubtful but they will see what they can do..

to THEN resorting to possibly ordering a 10 core traschcan mac pro from OWC, with 64GB ram and 2TB ssd, will still be a huge upgrade for me from what I have.. and THEM telling me the aurora X SSD needs High sierra, and it will come with 10.13.6

what does it take?

I mean even OWC doesn't keep incremental OS versions? WTF? Their page says the aurora X works from 10.13.0 and upwards. I tried to explain this to them but they just did not get it. I do NOT need 10.13.6.
Cubase is also a disaster with 10.13.4 and higher.
OWC said I'd need to order it with the 256 GB drive if i wanted it to come with normal sierra..as that's the old aurora.. BUT.. they DO have an aurora drive one can buy separately, that is a little slower, not the aurora X, that DOES work with anything from yosemite and up...and is available up to 4 Tb anyway! So i'd have to order the base machine, remove the SSD, then put the new one in.. Sigh.. will cost more too..
Why can't they just NOT put the more expensive aurora X in it, and put in a 2 terabyte aurora standard aurora, and ship me a machine with sierra 12.12.6? I mean is it that difficult?

I mean what is their childhood trauma?

After dealing with these people all day from 830 am through now, now 330 pm here, you would be frustrated too.. but of course my apologies if i sound angry..

I just feel like I have been dealing with idiots all day.

It's getting to the point that I will just put 2x2TB ssd in my 2011 IMAC, will cost 2 grand fully installed including machine internal general cleaning, 2 860evo 2tb drives.. and I'll buy the ati 6970m gpu and have it on the side in case mine ever dies. At least i can install ANY os i want on it. Seriously! So irritating LOL! I might even see if i can put a 2700K in it, a crappy apple thermal paste application cleanup, or even my current 2600 inside it removed, cleaned and reseated with a pea of good thermal paste. (they claimed the 2011 imac had the 2600 soldered to the board, but i know this is 100% not true, it can be easily removed and replaced).

Isn't anybody else frustrated that apple makes this sort of thing SO hard for audio or graphics professionals?

Just to simply get a version of the OS that works properly with your DAW?

So.. ranting aside, if ANYONE has 10.13.2 full installer of high sierra, PLEASE, i will be so grateful. It would mean i could put this ridiculous ordeal to rest, order an imac pro, format it the second it gets here, and install 10.13.2, then update to 10.13.3 (imac pro has a separate update for 10.13.3 and i think 10.13.2 would overall be the best full installer to have).

Anyone? I'll owe you one, big time.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Why so impossible to get an earlier version of High Sierra? Anyone have 10.13.2 f

For what it's worth, Avid tech support have advised me *against* buying a new imac pro at this time..

I think this highlights the seriousness of the issue, if the fastest mac computer money can buy is still not recommended because of 10.13.6 !!!

Cubase also exhibits freezing/locking and abnormal cpu usage with export on 10.13.4 and higher. Steinberg have not commented a single time on it despite multiple threads, they are completely avoiding it.

Seems only way I can work around this if i want a more powerful computer than my 2011 imac is to get a 10 core mac pro from OWC, but with the 256gb drive which they ship with sierra, then buy this:
https://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchan...TBPCIESSD-MP13

64gb ram, 10 core 3ghz, the SSD above, and all my TB2 stuff will work without adapters.. I will for now, use the imac 201 as a screen, and add a used thunderbolt display as a second screen when budget allows.

The multi core score of that chip is 29k+, single core score is similar to my 2011 imac, very close, and the multi on that is like 11.5k, so the improvement should be huge.. not to mention that for DAW work, mac pro's do not thermal throttle at all.. So for the next 3 years at least, i think this is the way to go, at about 1000 usd cheaper than the base imac pro, including the thunderbolt display.

And i can install a fresh sierra on the MCE ssd. It all makes sense...

I could even, I guess, get the 1TB drive from OWC, cause even if it comes with 10.13.6, i can remove it and use it as a thunderbolt fanless SSD in the right enclosure.. So.. there are options...

Obviously, an imac pro with 10.13.3 was my dream, but alas was not meant to be.