Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Default Re: The Protools LE to Protools 9 Upgrade satisfation thread

This topic really has been beaten to death over the years. A few years ago the members over at the 3dB forum put most of the DAWs to the test. The result was that they all sounded exactly the same and nulled when set up the same. By being set up the same, I mean using the same pan laws, etc.

Stereo tracks will sound different (not necessarily better) in Sony Vegas than in PT (any version) if you don't set the pan laws the same.

The one exception that I know of is Propellerhead Record. I think they tried to build in an SSL console emulation. None of the others have done this (so that you can use your own plug-ins to make it sound like whatever board you want) as far as I know.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
"...when somebody brings in a Logic track — I know exactly what it was recorded on."
Sorry Hans, I doubt it very much, now go cash that check from Steinberg...lol
I've heard stuff that was recorded on every DAW and they all have the potential to sound great with the right person doing the work. Pro Tools has just been the leader in the field for the most part, and is the most common in studios.

BTW, the fully loaded Dell's are now not so much cheaper than the Macbook Pro's anymore.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
This topic really has been beaten to death over the years. A few years ago the members over at the 3dB forum put most of the DAWs to the test. The result was that they all sounded exactly the same and nulled when set up the same. By being set up the same, I mean using the same pan laws, etc.

Stereo tracks will sound different (not necessarily better) in Sony Vegas than in PT (any version) if you don't set the pan laws the same.

The one exception that I know of is Propellerhead Record. I think they tried to build in an SSL console emulation. None of the others have done this (so that you can use your own plug-ins to make it sound like whatever board you want) as far as I know.

Greg
Well I won't continue to debate theory over fact. And to clarify, not that it makes a difference, I said DAWs may sound different not better. I do have another question though. So what then do you say to people who kept the same outboard and software chain, switched DAWs and swear they hear a difference. The ears don't matter in this case? Just wondering.

FWIW, we are not too far off the thread. The OP initially stated that he heard a difference between PT7 and PT9. The other DAWs just got thrown in. In conclusion folks are saying PT9 does not sound different than PT7, neither do DAWs sound different.

BTW, thanks John for the gearslutz link.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
So what then do you say to people who kept the same outboard and software chain, switched DAWs and swear they hear a difference. The ears don't matter in this case?
A couple of possibilities. A different looking interface will sound different to you while you're looking at it, even if the bit stream is identical. A different interface may encourage a different way of working, which may result in different session structures, which may result in a different bit stream. E.g., if a DAW makes it more convenient to put a compressor on every background vocal track than to bus them together and compress them on an Aux, most users will do it that way. Or if a DAW doesn't make it readily apparent that your levels are too hot, many users will routinely send excessively hot audio into their plug-ins, which may not handle it elegantly.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
So what then do you say to people who kept the same outboard and software chain, switched DAWs and swear they hear a difference. The ears don't matter in this case? Just wondering.
It's most likely that they didn't scientifically test it. There is some other variable other than just the DAW that they are ignoring or not aware of.

Just like if you went to someones studio and listened to a set of speakers.... you might say, "Wow, those sound so much better than my speakers!"

This might be true to your ears, but there are too many variables for you to make that conclusion. It's not just the speakers you heard that were different from your studio. Most importantly room acoustics, but also the gear, etc. in this studio are not likely a mirror of what you are using.

One of the other reasons I think this happens is up until PT9, you needed to use AVID/digi hardware to use pro tools. So someone coming from Logic with a motu interface and switching to LE with an 003 is changing converters, clock, pre's, etc.... not just software.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?