Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Default NI discontinues B4II - Abandon ship

Its the last nail in the coffin for me.
Theyre building their business model a la Garageband for the casual
"musician" - and dumping B4II - the one and only good thing about NI in my book.

Also theres been no PT support until recently (almost 2 years of broken software)
Check out my thread at NI regarding their "ProTools support".
http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=72591

Its over - the germans lost the war.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Default Re: NI discontinues B4II - Abandon ship

Just the next step in the downward spiral that is NI. It's been a while since I gave up on what I once saw as a leader in their field. I'm not surprised at all.

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
Just for the record AIR are Germans too, I don't think it has anything to do with nationality. BTW the biggest contributors to the electronic music industry in the last 25 years were German's and Japanese, so I think your war theory may be a bit flawed!

However, it is bad that they are dropping B4 as it's a very cool plugin.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 PM

I used B4II in PT8cs3 two days ago and it worked fine.
Have not tried it in 8.01 yet but it's in the plug folder and I worked 12 hours yesterday without even the smallest sign of glitch.
I think there's life in the old girl yet.
You could always use the AU or VST version in Bidule.
I mean....it is what it is. An emulation of a B4. It's not going to get any better.
We just need the current incarnation to stay compatible.
I do like it better than the AIR offering. In fact I replaced the original air plug with it.
I wouldn't like to be without it.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
Just for the record AIR are Germans too
I didn't get the impression that he was being literal - more like quoting a movie - but you're right -- some of the best software on the market is coming from Germany.

I'm heartbroken that B4 is being dropped. Nothing else was as realistic. It's still working for me but this means that some day, as PT and the Mac OS progress, it will not.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 PM

I should have learned about NI when the Intel Mac update of the Guitar Rig Combos was 4 Months late, But no I had to buy the Keyboard Combos (Akoustic Piano, Elektrik Piano and B4II) when it was on sale. Both products were last on on NI's list for updates each time.

I never installed B4II after 8.0 came out as I was collaborating with another 8.0 user that was using DB33, Velvet replaced Electric Piano, Ivory replaced Akoustik Piano, And Eleven replaced Guitar Rig.

B4II was about the only reason for me to stay and DB33 is working well enough here. For better or worse I bought the AIR BOX set instead of Komplete based solely on the belief that Digi was traditionally been very good about issuing plug in updates. And for me NI hasn't been good with updates.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-05-2009, 02:07 AM

Sure. Why not drop one of the very few VI's from Komplete 3 that actually works.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
Its the last nail in the coffin for me.
Theyre building their business model a la Garageband for the casual
"musician" - and dumping B4II - the one and only good thing about NI in my book.

Also theres been no PT support until recently (almost 2 years of broken software)
Check out my thread at NI regarding their "ProTools support".
http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=72591

++++++ 1,000,000

Kontakt 4 is nice though. Been beta testing it for a while, seems really nice. Personally I would have called it kontakt 3.5 but I am not making decisions over there.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:51 AM

I'm apparently one of the few NI users who thinks they're a decent company with products I love to use. So allow me to post a few thoughts from a different perspective.

1. This was a business decision, and only a business decision. And hard choices are easier to make when your revenues are shrinking in a post-meltdown economic climate. It doesn't take too much imagination to guess where NI's market demand is concentrated these days. Elektrik Piano, Akoustik Piano, Pro-53 and B4II are not big moneymakers--too many alternatives out there that are cheaper and just as good, if not better. At the very least, the cheaper alternatives are adequate to the task. That part of the market is saturated, and there isn't a lot of upside there for NI. And the sounds are still all available in Kore anyway.

I'm not saying that I don't care that B4II was discontinued, I'm just describing the cold, hard market facts. That's what NI will live or die by. Just like any other company in a world where people are relatively free to buy and sell without coercion.

2. NI will still be providing tech support (such as it is, I know) for the discontinued products. They can still be installed, activated and used on current hardware and operating systems. As an example, I still like to use Spektral Delay and Vokator sometimes. They still work on my system. But I also know that I can get the same sounds in other ways. The same, I think, holds true for the most recently discontinued NI products; probably even more so.

3. This situation brings up one of the problems with software products as opposed to hardware. You can still use a hardware synth that was built 30 years ago. But what do you do with software instruments that aren't supported by current technology? The software instrument era is still relatively young, but this may be more of an issue as time goes on. Say you have a unique plugin that only works on an old Pentium IV. It has gone out of favor, or the developer has gone out of business. Just like some of the older hardware. What's different, though, is that Hardware instruments get "rediscovered," and may enjoy a renaissance of sorts. Old VIs won't have the same prospects, I'm afraid. Especially once the computers they were built to run on have gone the way of the dinosaur.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I didn't get the impression that he was being literal - more like quoting a movie.
Youve read me good Eric!

If the code would be open source then
independent programmers could re-invent discontinued and adandoned software.

Last edited by Petra Pan; 09-05-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: confusion